1/32 F4U-1A Corsair Engine

Started by George Johnson · 10 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Here are a couple of WIP shots of my 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A Corsair engine. In the process of wiring the ignition system and still have to add quite a few parts, but it's coming along nicely. Should have it wrapped up tonight. This is a great kit and I highly recommend it.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

What a beauty ! This kit is definitely on my "wish list"... Maybe on Father's Day or possibly Christmas ? If I am lucky that is...

What are you using for the ignition harness wires ? Whatever it is, it look very good...

The F4U is my favorite all time aircraft. I'll be checking in from time to time for updates. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. It really is a nice kit, but I keep comparing it to the Z-M Ho-229. I used .015" lead wire that I purchased from Bass Pro Shops. I think it's used in making fishing flies. They sell it in .010, .015, and .020" diameters. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/round-lead-wire-spools

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

I'll keep this in mind... that's a great tip, thank you !

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Nice work as usual, sir...gonna be a real 'beaut, I can tell. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Almost done with the engine. Couldn't quite finish it tonight as I hoped.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

@georgelj - " I keep comparing it to the Z-M Ho-229" - this explains my lifelong policy of never dating beautiful women.

Your work here is fantastic; did you use the kit pushrods, or are those also hand crafted?

You have been dining on some exotic fare recently, George. I feel a bit like a beggar hoping for scraps from the feasting table. Great work, sir.

• Profile Photo

@dirtylittlefokker- I love your dating philosophy. Good advice (for all those single folks out there in modelling land).
    I actually used the kit rods, but with some work. I carefullt scraped and sanded them to remove all traces of mold lines.

• Profile Photo

@dirtylittlefokker- I love your dating philosophy. Good advice (for all those single folks out there in modelling land).
    I actually used the kit rods, but with some work. I carefullt scraped and sanded them to remove all traces of mold lines.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Ha, first time the words my 'dating philosophy' and 'good advice' have been seen on the same page, ever.

Love the work on the engine, it's clear to see the time and effort you have put into this.