1/48 Monogram B-26 MARAUDER

Started by Tolga ULGUR · 68 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years ago:

Excellent work Tolga, love what you done to the basic seats.

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Horizontal stabilizators parts glued each other and installed to the fuselage.
    It seems that this area is one of the tricky areas of the model. It needs some sanding and puttying process.Though a lot of work, it needs still some more efforts here.
    This kit is monogram brand too, but this is not as good as Monogram s B-25.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 8 years, 10 months ago:

I am still working on the rear section of the kit.
    The rear gun turret installed.
    But the clear part of the tail gunner has big fitting problems.
    What the hell...?
    Fitting to the turret is Ok. But connection the fuselage has serious problems.
    You can see the meaningless gaps in the pictures.
    It needs a lot of work here. Hope that I can solve this

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Tolga, thanks for posting the images.
    From what it looks like, the clear gunners glass looks like it needs to be slid forward to close out the obvious gap along the front edge where it butts up against the vertical fuselage mating surface and make the aerodynamic fairing in line with the base of the rudder. I can't tell exactly where the interference points are but its definitely sitting too far aft. You might want to consider cutting the vertical fin off (or, if you are skillful enough just the rudder would be an even better idea), filling the gaps around the tail gunners glass, and then re attach the fin. You could beef up the joint internally with some lengths of plastic rod if needed. I think you will be able to get a better view of what is getting in the way, too. Remember ramming sheet plastic into any remaining gap is a perfectly acceptable way to solve the problem. But you need the sanding tools to be able to get in close.

That particular fin-stab junction traps you between a rock and a hard place. With all the sanding mayhem you had to do to get to this point, i'd suggest you take it all off and either rescribe or draw new lines on with a pencil. The ribbing on the fabric covered control surfaces looks overdone anyways.

I know there's a fix to all of this, but its gonna take a bit more work.

david

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for the advices David.
    I have re started to Marauder to fix the tail section.
    I have used plastic sheet and Tamiya epoxy putty.
    To be continued...

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some updates from the bench...

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some more updates...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Tolga, my admiration for your patience and hard work reworking that tail and rear gunners position. I can only imagine the time and effort that took. The way it comes together makes for a difficult solution. What sanding tools did you use? I've got one of these, and my day is coming. The wing/fuselage joins are another challenge, as are the cowlings. You go those, and you got this.
    Bravo!
    Can't wait to see the final result.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Tolga it is coming along quite well. A WIP like this is a great tool to see how you approached each challenge for this particular kit. Seen a few of these built over the years, but you never see what the builder had to go through into achieving an outstanding model. Like Algebra, which I didn't like, the teacher would always make me show how I arrived to the solution, "show your work" he would say. Any way you have shown your work. I love it, I have this kit so I will know how to figure out the solution thanks to your WIP. Thank you for sharing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernard
    Thanks Chuck,
    Bernard, I have used a series of Tamiya finishing abrasives for sanding (#320- 600- 1000- 1200)
    For filling the gaps Tamiya basic putty and Tamiya epoxy putty.

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Brilliant recovery work, Tolga. Well Done!

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Great work Tolga, excellent recovery with the back end.

• Profile Photo
    Tolga ULGUR said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Wing roots need some more putty. After sanding process hope that this will be ready for painting in the end.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Nice work Tolga, are you going to seal the filler?

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Tolga, next to the tailgunners area, the wing roots and nacelles are the other traps for the unwary on this kit. On some of the builtups I've seen, that jumps right out at you, if not done.

There was one in the museum I work in, which they have since replaced. (popular subject hereabouts) We also have a couple of the old Auroras in our collection, with the rivets and embossed insignia. Oh, and yellow "USAF" insignia on the aluminum wings.

Makes a vivid comparison as to how far the hobby has come since the 50s.