1/48 Revell Pro Modeller Curtiss SB2C-4 Helldiver

Started by Louis Gardner · 38 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Curtiss, Helldiver, Pro Modeller, Revell, SB2C-4
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Then I decided that since I was on a roll to go ahead and mask off the insignia. This is my first time using spray masks on a model so there is a learning curve.

If I had it to do over again I would have left the outside border mask in place on the wings. I did so on the fuselage sides. It made a difference.

Once everything was painted I noticed that there was some white showing along the outer edges of the wing insignia.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The fuselage side insignia came out better. I left the outer edge masking in place then sprayed the insignia blue over the white base.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I used Model Master Insignia Blue and Insignia White to spray paint the markings. I think that they came out ok. I thought about spraying a light coat of clear on first, but didn't do it. My thoughts behind this were to help prevent bleed through from under the edges of the spray masks. After I removed all of the masking material, I did find some minor bleed had occurred. It's really not that bad though. It's something I think I can fix pretty easily.

The Port side photo etched metal perforated flap came loose as I was pulling the tape off the upper surfaces of the wing. It should be an easy fix...

Here are the pictures that I took today of the process.

I'm going to let the paint dry overnight. Hopefully tomorrow I can mask off and spray the fuselage and fin side numbers. The fuselage numbers are white, while the much smaller fin numbers are in intermediate blue / gray.

Please stay tuned for updates...

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Tonight is another installment on the progress of the "Beast" as I have started to call it.

I touched up some areas where the white paint bled through from under the masks. Then I masked off the areas surrounding the #207 numbers to help prevent overspray from settling.

Once this was done, I sprayed the numbers with white on the fuselage and intermediate blue on the fin.

After the paint dried I removed the masking materials. I had to touch up a few small areas where the paint bled under the masking.

Finally I re attached the photo etch for the upper wing flap that came off during this build.

Here are some pictures of the process.

Once the CA glue finally sets up I will touch up the small areas where the dark sea blue came off.

The next step will be a coat of Dull Coat to even everything out.

Enjoy!

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Today was a great day !

I got a lot done on the "Beast". I installed and painted the gun sight. While painting the sight I also painted the upper portion of the instrument panel cowling area flat black, since I had the color in hand at the time.

Then I installed the photo etch lower flaps using CA glue. While this was drying I turned my attention to the engine, adding the photo etch ignition harness.

Next was the propeller. Most of the painting was done, but the tips needed to be sprayed yellow. Since they had the initial coat of white, the yellow covered nicely. The assembly was then given a coat of Testors Dull Coat. Since I had the Dull Coat out, I decided to spray the whole air frame.

After the Dull Coat dried, I attached the front wind screen using white glue. Next I touched up the radio compartment, since a little white over spray ended up here...

The exhausts were cleaned up and brushed in Testor's Metallizer "Burnt Iron" color. Once these dried I glued the exhaust stacks in place.

By now the engine assembly had dried so I went ahead and glue it into position. This was followed by the cowling, and finally I simply pushed the propeller assembly into place.

The last photo shows the "Beast" as it sits now. If I have time, I may go ahead and spray the bombs in Olive Drab... Hopefully it wont be much longer and I will have it finished...

Please stay tuned for updates.

Thanks for watching.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

After dinner I just had to get back into building the "Beast". I want to get this thing done...

So I went ahead and gave the engine, cockpit, landing gear wheel wells, and bomb bay a wash of Windsor and Newton "Lamp Black" artist oils. I thinned the mixture heavily with turpentine and brushed it on with a big brush. Then I used my air brush to blow the stuff around so it got into all of the little crevices. It accidentally provided some decent weathering... The thinned material simulates engine oil leaks and typical grime pretty nicely. So I wiped off the excess and left some of it on the plane to give it the look as if it had just been run.

Then I directed my attention to the rest of the canopy sections. I went ahead and glued them into position using white glue. If you look closely at the second photo you can see how my yellow masking tape folded life raft turned out... Pretty convincing.

I saved the arrestor hook decals from the Hobby Boss Corsair and borrowed one from another HB F4U kit that has yet to be built. I applied these to the arrestor hook on the SB2C and brushed on some decal solvaset to make it snuggle around the hook. It came out pretty good too.

While this stuff was drying, and I was on a roll, I decided to paint the bomb ordnance in Tamiya OD Green. So I sprayed the two bombs using the Iwata airbrush and let them dry. It only took a few minutes to dry, and I was able to glue them into the bomb bay.

Here are a few pictures of tonight's progress. Hopefully tomorrow I can add the gunner's seat belts and install the rear seat and machine guns. Then all I have left to do is add the airspeed indicator pitot tube, Yagi antennae's and make an antennae lead cable out of clear stretched sprue.

I'm calling it a night. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish this one up and post a new article about the plane that was rumored to have one more hydraulic fitting than a B-17, and three less engines...

To be continued. Please stay tuned.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here's tonight's progress. I finished the "Beast" !

I had an idea that I wanted to try out. I thought about using cloth medical tape for the rear gunner seat belts. So I cut some of the fabric cloth tape into thin strips and it worked great. The adhesive helped to keep the photo etched bits in place. All I had to do was fold the tape over so that the adhesive parts stuck to one another. Then I secured everything with CA glue...

Then I finished the detail painting on the rear facing twin MG's. Once both assemblies had dried sufficiently, I glued them in place.

Next was the "Yagi" antennae's. These could be pointed in any direction, so I thought it would simply look best if the were both pointed outward away from the plane at a 45 degree. So that's what I did.

The air speed indicator's pitot tube was the next item of business. The fit into the leading edge of the wing was tight. It was so tight that I opted to not glue it in place. I simply left it in position once I pressed it into the wing. A few dabs of Dark Sea Blue later...

Finally I stretched out some clear sprue and glued it into position.

There you have it... The "Beast" is done.

Next I'll snap some photos of it and post up a new article.

Thanks for following along.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

This is the plane I modelled my SB2C after...

And the kit box top.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.