1/48 Tamiya Fw-190A

Started by Erik Muntzing · 3 · 11 years ago · Tamiya Fw-190 1/48 a-3
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Muntzing said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Hey guys,

Here is what's on my bench currently, the beautiful Tamiya Fw-190 in 1/48 scale. I'm not too happy with the painting and I botched the mottling but it was my first go. I need to work on my free hand camo quite a bit. This picture was taken just after the loss coat was applied. Decals tomorrow!

Some things to note:
    1) This is my first model since June when I started college applications so its been a little rough
    2) I'm very disappointed with Model Master's RLM 74/75/76 and need to find a better brand of paints. Any suggestions?
    3) My airbrush compressor is a cheap one and therefor I think that may have led to the terrible mottling due to inconsistent pressure.

Again, all comments welcome!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ben Hietbrink said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Erik,

I saw your completed model on Hyperscale and noted some comments over there.

What specifically weren't you happy with regarding the colours?

I've attached a pic of a 1/48 Tamiya Fw190 A8/R2 I did about 3 years ago. This was painted with Life Color Acrylics.

For the record I usually use Gunze Sangyo acrylics thinned with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Cheers,

Ben

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Scott said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Erik,

I think your paintwork looks pretty good. I don't see any mottling issues either. I like Life Color and used it on a couple of Hasegawa models: Bf109 G6 and an FW-190 A5. I found that I had to use a retarder mixed in with it to keep it from drying too fast. Nice colors though. Now, I basically use Tamiya Acrylics, with a few other brands occasionally for metallic paints, mainly. I also use Tamiya acrylic thinner with them, about 50-50 or lighter.

Nice work.