1/72 HobbyBoss MiG-3

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 31 · 8 years ago · 1/72, HobbyBoss, MiG
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I think, that most of the modelers doesn't take into account these "Easy Assemble" kits from HobbyBoss in 72 scale. Sure mainly this is kits for starters and... for lazies like me! I was wondering - what can be built from such kit? So, I bought this MiG-3 yesterday. There is no aftermarket parts for it, interior already mounted and lacks instrumental panel! All the rest looks pretty good.

I've chosen that in winter camo. Started from building stand and this is all for now. Need a time to review photos, because I've found that prop blades was not painted black on this particular aircraft as it was given in the instruction.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Dimitry, its a great choice, the HB MiG-3 is probably the best in 1/72, i like these easy kits.
    Hobby Boss has a great range of interesting types. Got the MiG-15
    Are you aware of this site?
    http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/mig3.html

Happy Modelling

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernd, thank you for the link - I didn't know about that. I've built several kits from this Easy Assemble line and I like it a lot too!

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Good choice Dmitry - I like the Mig 3. HB easy kits turn out nice. I'll be watching your progress on this one.

• Profile Photo

Happy modelling, this site is a great source, when it come to VVS fighters

• Profile Photo

Some updates. I've added carcass elements to cockpit and improved control column. Also I've printed instrumental panel and made it from plastic - to make a sandwich from plastic and printed parts.

• Profile Photo

You are showing great modelling here (again) Looks very nice. These are good additions to the sparse HB cockpit

• Profile Photo

Haven't had much time for modeling during past few days, so here is a little update. Exhausts and guns are drilled along with the back side of air intakes. Flaps and additional panel lines were added to the wings. Also I should add landing and navigation light to it.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some updates - wings are finished. I've added navigation and landing lights. Also there were defects on the air intakes in the root of the wing (you can see yellow putty there).

• Profile Photo

This is going to be another stunning model Dmitry. I like all the details you are adding. More nice work.

• Profile Photo

Probably the first time, that a HB Easy Kit will be turned into a detailed model !
    Looks good Dimitry 🙂

• Profile Photo

Not so easy as I expected it to be 🙂 There is a lot of things that require attention (with filler of course). I had to add plastic below the front part of the canopy to place it correctly regarding to a fuselage. Also I've added plastic to the bottom side of the cowling. Spinner improved with a parting line and main radiator with the radiator grille.

Interior was painted with the authentic color AMT-11 from Akan, instrumental panels and seat belts installed. Windshield canopy part was also painted from inside. A little bit of weathering and interior is done!

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking good Dmitry. You're moving this one on quickly.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years ago:

Dmitry, you may wish to explore an opportunity here. These were wooden aircraft, essentially. Uschi make wood grain decals that would look good when used to highlight the underlying structure for what otherwise are fairly simple aircraft. You could still undertake winter camo elsewhere.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 9 years ago:

It's not an easy question, Rob. Wings were partially wooden, and fuselage tail. Also it was a "delta wood" and it had a very dark brown color without a clear wooden texture. I want to find some photos of MiGs where this could be visible, because for now I don't know how it should look properly.

Going further - still need to sand some areas, but almost everything is ready for painting.