An A-10 project in 48th scale. Revell and Tamiya

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 15 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 7 months ago:

This is a project that was first started back in 2012 for an A-10 group build for the Air Resource Center site. But A-10's are not normally quick builders. Especially in 48th scale. And those that are rather labor intensive. Taking the Tamiya kit #61029, which is ok only that most of the weapons are not accurate and the cockpit is of the prototype not the production A-10. The Monogram kit now in the Revell box, is still considered the more accurate Desert Storm era A-10 in shape and detail. It can be brought up to date with some of the modern update sets available to represent the A-10C with the LASTE package installed. The Tam will be a Desert Storm A-10A USAF staging out of the Tabuk Air Base in the western area of Saudi Arabia. In the standard Lizard scheme of the time. The Revell, will be an A-10C in the Lt and Dk Ghost Grey scheme, serving back again in Iraq during the Iraqi Freedom campaign.
    Starting with the Tamiya kit, i bought this from Discount Hobby Center in Utica, NY mail order, remember them in Scale Modeler magazine and their one page ad. So this would be around 1992-93. So I have it in the stash for awhile. I will use the True Details cockpit set to update the cockpit to a pre-LASTE Desert Storm Era cockpit. The set is intended for the Revell kit, but I will get it to work for this project. I also got the Wolfpack LAU-114/A dual rail missile launcher for the Sidewinders, this set comes with two launchers so the other one will be installed on the A-10C as well. Black Magic wheel and canopy masks. And Expert's Choice Decals, #48-29, 354th TFW Gulf War A-10A's. The Tam A-10 comes in an OD color plastic. It will be heavy even without nose weight installed. It will take a lot to keep that nose down. A combination of raised and engraved panel lines, one of the early 48th scale kits from Tamiya.
    The Revell kit I came across more recently snagged off an EBay auction, there always available, got this one for less than 10.00 with shipping. Around 05/06 when I picked it up. Molded in Dk Green, typical Monogram kit of the era, raised panel lines. Good detail, the rivets under the tail are well represented and are quite close to what the real aircraft has. The Tamiya kit does not have this detail, it is smooth. I will use a Legends LASTE cockpit to replace the kit parts. Designed for the Revell kit. I also have the Shull24 engine faces and intakes to replace the kit parts, which also includes the flaperons in the closed position which is how they are when the aircraft is parked on the ramp, to replace the opened ones in the kit. A Shull24 AN/ALQ-184 2 band ECM Pod short. And of course the LASTE update set represent a LASTE A-10. Will get back to you on who is the producer of that neat simple set that is easy to install but a must have for updated A-10.

As you know my process I normally start to paint the various parts still on the trees with the interior colors and metallizer before any assembly and sub-assemblies are started. One nasty boo boo part revealed itself after painting. The main wheels are well not fully developed. This is on the Revell kit. So back to order a set of resin replacement wheels. Both cockpit sets provided nicely detailed replacement ejection seats, instrument panels and the rear decking behind the seats.

Lot of the A-10's during Desert Storm still had the light grey wheel wells, doors, struts and wheels. Those that went to Depot level of maintenance had since been repainted white. The DS A-10 will have the grey while the EF A-10 will be white. This is my call, the plane that I will eventually complete for the DS bird were actually white already.
    You will notice the difference and approach that Tamiya chose compared to the Revell way of how to replicate an A-10 nose wheel well. The Tam kit has a separate lower section of the nose, then you assemble the walls of the well into that section, which I am happy they did, when it came down to modifying this part to allow the True Details cockpit tub to fit. The Revell kit has you also install the nose strut which I don't care about at the onset of the build. I prefer it to be in the final assy to install the landing gear. After painting and decaling. The Tam A-10 can be completed then install the landing gear. The Tam lower nose piece above the Revell lower nose section. As I proceed with both builds. I will point out the differences and approach of both manufacturers in how they addressed their way in how to assemble these kits. So more to follow. Thanks for viewing.
    Chuck
    Fly Navy

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 7 months ago:

Today continuing the A-10 project, comparing both fuselages you can see that the Tamiya in the OD seems a little more narrower than the Revell A-10 in the darker green. The details on the Tamiyas Cowling area over the IP is non existent as well as the area behind the seat is also very plain compared to the Revell which has some detail in those areas. On the Tamiya we will next work on installing the cockpit tub into the Tamiya kit. This is the True Detail set for the Monogram/Revell kit, there will be some mods needed to make to get it to fit properly. Fortunately there is plenty of resin to remove without compromising the tub. After some test fitting into the fuselage and also making sure the nose wheel bay will clear and fit without gaps around the nose. I ended up trimming a few millimeters off the rear walls allowed it to fit properly. Whew it will work. Next to detail the more accurate IP. And set it aside to install later. I had mentioned that the Tam dash coaming area is pretty plain. Though the True Detail set is a seat and cockpit tub, the Legends set which I am using for the Revell kit does supply a replacement coaming, and since the Revell kit don't really need it, I decided to see if it would fit on the Tamiya A-10. So with a razor I removed the kit parts to prepare to install the resin replacement piece. It fit perfectly in the Tamiya nose. Whew so far so good. Next we button up the fuselage install the pit. And do some work on the Revell kit. More to follow.
    Chuck
    Fly Navy

September 11, 2001 May God continue to bless the United States of America

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 7 months ago:

Really nice looking build, Chuck. I've seen this in 1/32 with full weapons and it's a monster. I built the Tamiya in 1/48, as here, a few years ago, and agree it's labour intensive.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Time to get back to this project, working on the Tamiya A-10 next I will assemble the engine pod assy's. First airbrushing the rear section MM Gun Metal. Then the exhaust nozzle Model Master burnt metal and exhaust. Then in the meantime I went ahead followed the same with the Revell A-10, same process, you will also notice the difference in layout of the Tam engines compared to how Revell has a different approach in how their A-10 is assembled. The first two images are of the Tam engine pods, the next 3 are of the Revell A-10. Back to the Tam kit, the engine turbine faces are painted Alclad aluminum. Then assembled less the front engine cowlings. The interior of the engine cowlings are painted white and also remove some access plastic so the will install flushed and proper on the engine pods. Other wise major seam cleanup. Circled in red. Once that was cleaned up then installed the LH cowling to the engine pod. Easier seam to clean. And proceeded to install the other side as well.

Going back to the Revell pods, did not paint the faces of the kit parts but did so on the resin replacements. Now building Monogram/Revell kits over the year and the grade of styrene they use, the finished models are quite heavy. The engine pods on the Tam A-10 are heavy, and now I am thinking I may not have enough weight in the nose to compensate. The Revell engine pods are not as heavy even with the resin parts installed. Anyway there is always contingency. Any way the engines are assembled, the Revell set will still need to be modified. Thats next. until then more to follow.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Comments by the USAF Chief of Staff about the aircraft on vets site thisainthell today. The latest AF attempt to get rid of it.
    Great work on this. MD ANG is across the airport from the museum, I get to see them taking off, really enjoy it.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks Bernard, in fact 12 of them were deployed to Incirlik Air Base in Turkey this week. This contingent is from Michigan. Rob actually both the Tam and the Rev/Mon kits are. Though the Tam kit is a little more forgiving.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Time to continue this project, working on the engine nacelles for both kits, the Revell kit will get the Shull 24 more accurate resin intakes and engine fans. The Tamiya kit will keep the ones from the kit. I assembled the Revell engine pods and then marked them before cutting the intake front edge to accept the resin replacements. I have the Tamiya engine pods sitting next to the Revell set in the darker green. After installing the resin faces. There is some alignment issues which I will clean up with 3M putty and blend them in. There is a locating pin in each nacelle that needed to be removed to allow the resin bits to sit flush against the kit parts. In the meantime the replacement wheels showed for the Revell kit from Royal Resin #R004.

An image of the sub assemblies of the Revell kit. Need to drill out the access tube on the LH side of the Revell fuselage, the Tam kit has this already opened. Next session we turn back to the Tam kit. Thanks for viewing.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

With progress coming along much quicker on the Tam kit, the rest of the WIP will be solely based on the Tam kit. With the engine nacelles finished, and this will have the Lizard camo scheme used in the Gulf War. I will next clean the seams and prepare the rear portion of the airframe to be painted. When I built the Italeri 72nd scale version of the A-10, I had a difficult time airbrushing the separate colors under the nacelles and all 3 colors are under there. So I prepainted that section of the tail and then installed the engine pods. First we pre shaded and then first applied the lighter of the 2 Greens, 1st Aeromaster Med Green, Tamiya Dark Green for the Euro1 Dk Green and then Gunze Gunship Grey. Putting it off for a day I then installed the engine pods. The rest of the airframe has already been prepped and pre shaded. Next to install the canopy and windshield, weapon pylons, Pave Penny sensor. Using Cutting Edge masks for the canopy. Installing the various antenna blades. Next I will gather up the ordnance and have those assembled and ready for paint next time. Thanks for viewing.

20 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Lots of good work going on here, Chuck, I remember really liking the Tamiya box art for the original 1/72 kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George, though the image of that kit escapes me for the moment. I am going to look that kit up. Just don't recall a Tamiya A-10 in 2nd scale. Unless it's a rebox of the Italeri kit that Tamiya does at times.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 4 months ago:

You've certainly made good progress. Seeing it come together reminds me what a big model it is.

• Profile Photo

The A-10 is definitely a large aircraft. And with a large wingspan which will take a good amount of shelf space once it finds it's spot on display.

• Profile Photo

At this stage I decided to gather the ordnance and avionic pod that this particular A-10 will be configured as. At the opening stage of the Gulf war the A-10's were tasked to destroy command and control centers, tanks and armored vehicles. Later tank plinking and Scud hunting with the F-15E's. The A-10 has 11 hardpoints, starting with station 11, the ALQ-119 pod shallow, on station 10 & 2, Mk.20 Rockeye II cluster bomb unit, on station 9,8,4,3, the AGM-65D Maverick,station 1, the Aim 9L Sidewinder on a dual rail launcher. Nothing on stations 5,6,7. Of course the Avenger 30MM cannon in the nose and finally the Pave Penny laser pod mounted on the starboard side of the nose. Neither the Tamiya or Revell kit come with sidewinders, so using a pair from the Hasegawa weapon set 1, also ordering the LAU-114 Dual Rail Adaptor (DRA) from Wolfpack models I then take the spare ALQ-119 pylon, cut it off for station 1 and then attach the DRA launcher to the pylon. Put that aside and work on the sidewinders next. Paint them glossy Lt Ghost Grey 16375 using Xtracrylix which dries glossy. Paint the head section Gunmetal and then decal and also attach some Eduards RBF flags to top it off, now I wish I had the yellow seeker head covers to really enhance them a little more. But this is good for now. Next paint the pylon Euro Green and attach the missiles. Next are the Rockeyes, I used the ones supplied in the kit, only decision to make was to go either white or Olive Drab, at the start of Desert Storm the munitions were in transition, air to air missiles from glossy white to Lt Ghost Grey, cluster bombs from white to OD, even the Mavericks were now being delivered in OD. As both colors were available, as both the Navy/Marines and Air Force were expending the older stock left from the Vietnam era. So I decided to go with the OD, assembled 2 of them and then added the yellow ID strip and painted the nose Black. Next up are the Mavericks. The AGM-65D just coming into service, 4 will be carried. Again using Hasegawa's weapon set 2, much better than what the kit supplies. The A-10 will be configured to carry the Mav's on 4 separate pylons instead of on the TER which would be in pairs. So I had to modify the TER and make into a single launcher and then mount the missile and launcher on the pylon. The TER in the Tam kit are incorrect, the ones provided in the Hase weapons are more accurate and will use them instead. And by using them I will remove 4 launch rails from moulded racks. And attach each launcher rail to each Maverick. The Mavericks are painted OD, lenses installed, using clear blue behind the lenses and then installing them. The rails are painted the Med Green. Finally the ALQ-119 pod, this is the shallow version used on this aircraft, though the deep version was also used. As like the weapons, the pods were also transitioning, as new units were delivered in OD, while those already in use were white. During the war it was not unusual to see one A-10 with a white pod with it's squadron mate loaded up with an OD one in the same flight. Loaded out on Station 11, assembled, the pylon painted Euro Green, with the ends masked off and painted black. Decal applied and with that this process is done. Next we add the final bits on the airframe and get ready for the paint shop.

18 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Enjoying the WIP as I'm doing the. Revell kit as well. The seams around the engine pods are a bit tricky to get to, but they're still a pretty enjoyable build. I see you're a proponent of naval aviation! I've often wondered how the Warthog would've been on a carrier. Willing to bet pilots would've thought it a joy to bring aboard!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Josh, I am also working on the Revell A-10 as well, though it is off to the side for the time being, but will get back to it in January. I actually left off at the engine pod assy. It is assembled with the new resin engine/intake installed. And your not kidding on the work needed to be done to work out the seams without removing too much detail So yeah a lot of seamwork to do on those babies. If they can land a C-130 on a carrier, I'm sure an A-10 can do it as well. Much more so as it can fly low and slow.
    C130 landing trials :

Chuck
    Fly Navy