Boeing C-17 Globemaster III - 1/72nd scale Combat Models Vacform

Started by Thomas Probert · 29 · 8 years ago · Combat Models Vacform
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years ago:

This thing is looking quite nice! I wonder why Combat uses such thin material? (Or is it really that thin? My only other vac kit is Sangers B-47, and its plastic is as thick as any injection molded kit! Does Elliot work with thicker material than most vac kit makers?) I have the Combat YB-49 and have decided it's basically going to be a stick and tissue model with the thin plastic shell standing in for the tissue. (Although the resin provided was nice!) Did your C-17 come with full size plans like my flying wing did?

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Probert said 9 years ago:

Thom,

I seen foam used before and it is perhaps a viable option, but I must confess I'm fairly 'old fashioned' in my methods and the advantage of using plastic interior structures means adding additional plastic spars for the wings et al is much easier.

I did also have a modelling buddy who used expanding foam... with disastrous consequences. The whole model was blown apart - so I suppose practice makes perfect!

Tom

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Probert said 9 years ago:

Josh - I don't know why the plastic is so thin; it's been the same for every Combat kit I've built.

Sanger, the old ID kits etc use much thicker plastic and it does make life a lot easier when building kits such as these!

And yes there were plans provided with the C-17, but they're very basic and instead I've been using the Revell 1/144th scale kit to guide me throughout this project.

Tom

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years ago:

Also re expanding foam, even if it works at first I'm not sure that it's inert, that is, may react chemically to affect the kit plastic/paint, in time.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 8 years, 12 months ago:

This is a fantastic project Thomas! The sheer size of the model could scare anyone away (I've twice build 72-scale Hercules (Herculii ?) and that's as close as I've come 🙂 !

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Probert said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Time for another update on this project as it's been a while.

With the rudder complete it was installed at an angle and some other, finer details added from scratch.

I then began the painting process, which started with the engines. The fans have an area around them within the nacelle which is there to stop any blades escaping the engine in event of failure and damaging the main airframe, so this was masked and sprayed first. The panels that make up the interior of the nacelles were then replicated with an initial spray of a medium grey, which was masked off and then aluminium being applied to the remainder of the inlet interior. The fans themselves were then sprayed with Humbrol MetalCote and polished to a sheen.

The engine fronts were then masked off, and the whole airframe was sprayed in Air Mobility Grey, before a good polish with some MicroMesh and then a few coats of Kleer in preparation for decaling.

The landing gear had the mounts made from scratch, and then the Anigrand gear was installed. This took a lot longer than I liked, and the model did spend some time on the 'naughty step' for a while before this task was completed!

I'm now starting the long task of adding decals - so far the nose section has been completed, but there's still lots to do before I can say decaling is complete.

Until next time,

Tom

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Have you thought about where to keep it when it is finished 🙂 ?

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Hi Magnus,

Thank fully I have a large and fully boarded attic - there are many large models up there already so the wife won't even notice this one making its way up there 😉

• Profile Photo

Decaling is now finished (sheet was from DrawDecal,) she's had a coat of matt varnish and the masks removed. Will be focusing on the bare metal areas of the airframe next.

Tom

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 8 years, 11 months ago:

This looks like a gem!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Fabulous work, sir...I think we'll be seeing this one again (wink, wink). 🙂

• Profile Photo

Not as much time at the bench as I'd like of late, but work continues on the C-17.

I've added the wheels and scratch-built their doors for the main gear. I've also added the natural metal areas on the APU, engine pylons, leading edges and the underside of the flaps from Bare Metal Foil.

All that's left now is to scratch the remaining undercarriage doors, add a few aerials here and there, and do the cockpit glazing from acetate.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 11 months ago:

Thomas, outstanding work throughout! Beautifully done, moreso as you've let us see the progression. My congratulations and admiration!

• Profile Photo
    Ray Seppala said 8 years, 10 months ago:

Wow Tom, you get around. Nice to see this one finished!

now I must get my Anigrand build finished!