Building the prize! Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb ( tropical ) 1:48

Started by Bernd Müller · 22 · 7 years ago · Airfix A05125, Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb, Royal Airforce, Scale 1:48, Spitfire
  • Profile Photo
    Gábor Szabó said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Hi Bernd! Looks good so far. I was in Malta two weeks ago and naturally can't resist to visit their small but very well maintained airplane museum. I don't know much about their 'Spit on display but if You like I can post some pics about it. I'd like a Spit XII in the future and I coulnd't decide between the Special Hobby or the new tool Airfix so I'm very corious how well builds a new 1:48 Airfix spit.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Hello Gabor, good reference pictures are always welcome, feel free to post them here or better post them in iModelers walkaround "department"
    It s said that the SH Spitfire Mk.XII is better, i have the Airfix kit and it looks like a fine build.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 6 months ago:

One of my favorite steps in modelling is the application of the decals or transfers. The stencils are from the kit and worked superb, the markings came from an Eagle Strike sheet, a bit stiff but o.K and most important, no silvering.
    The undercarriage struts are fitted, more of them later.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 6 months ago:

You "gotta" love the Spit ! I've always wanted to build one in the scheme you have depicted. You're building a masterpiece ! Fantastic work ...

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for the warm words, Louis 🙂
    I think Major Levines Spitfire is one of the most interesting paint schemes in the history of this iconic fighters.
    Its done ! But someone outside has switched the lights out. The photos were mostly c**p.
    But here is a teaser 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Wow ! From what I can see in this photo, it's going to be marvelous. A Spitfire in desert camouflage with Azure blue undersides is a great combo... The US markings make it different. Everything all wrapped up in one neat looking package.

Can't wait to see some more of it...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Turned out beautifully, from what I can see. The stencil decals worked, and the worn metal effect in the wing roots is just enough.
    That is a different set of markings, even for US Spitfires.