Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 Fulcrum

Started by George Johnson · 9 · 7 years ago · fighter, jet, MiG-29, russian
  • Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years, 6 months ago:

After a disastrous start to my 1/48 Academy F-4J that ended up in the trash bin, I decided I would build the model I received last year from iModeler for my Chilean AF F-16.

I'll start by saying that this appears to be a very well engineered kit. It has beautiful detail throughout and the cockpit is no exception. Everything fits together superbly. The instruments are supplied as individual decals and are a bit tedious to apply, but the results are worth it. I bought a resin set, but the kit-supplied one is just as good. I added a couple of pipes and cables made from lead wire to spruce it up a bit, and some PE seat belts I found in my spares box. I'm not a stickler for accuracy so these are from a MiG-23. Used Mr Paint light gray for the tub and NATO black for the seat. Ammo of Mig washes here and there, and Vallejo acrylics for the various buttons, etc.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Fabulous looking start, George (and I know what ya mean about that Academy Phantom). I'll be watching the progression on the Fulcrum with interest.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Looks like a good start on this fine kit, George !
    What went wrong with the Academy F-4?

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years, 6 months ago:

Everything went wrong. Long story that I will share later. : )

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Great to have a GJ build to follow again.
    Regarding the Phantom: maybe given by Devine Providence to make you wait for the Zoukei Mura kit.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks, Halvar. I think you're right- it was divine intervention or something like that. The stars were out of alignment for the Phantom.

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Wow, it's been a while since I last posted anything. I switched out an old heater in my workshop for a heat pump and things didn't work out as planned. It got too cold here in Portland and the stupid thing couldn't keep up. I had to install a supplementary heater and now my shop is cozy warm. I'm finally back to building models. Anyway, here are some additional in-progress shots of my GWH MiG-29. I decided to leave one of the nicely detailed engines out so I built up the inside of the fuselage to an very rough approximation of the real thing. It's a great model with great detail and almost perfect fit, but I wasn't too enthused about building it because I had recently finished a 29UB. Things changed once I started painting it, though. I'll upload pics of that soon.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Adam said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice engine 🙂 Are you going to add some wash on it?

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 7 years ago:

Additional work on the GWH MiG-29. Still needs some work.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.