Kinetic 1/48 Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker

Started by Johannes Gerl · 64 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Flanker, Kinetic, mostrubbishinstructionseverprinted, Su-33, Sukhoi
  • Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Yes, kind of.

I started off with the Alclad Hot Metal Blue but it didn't go very well. It looked kind of synthetic and the sheen wasn't right. I also wanted the nozzles to show many different shades of blue, so I started to create own transparent paints by mixing Mr. Paint blue tones with Mr. Paint varnish, partly along with some drops of metallic paint. After a while I got carried away and mixed a little bit of this with a little bit of that till the result was to my liking. That's also the reason why I didn't take pictures this time, I was just too engaged to manage this whole painting process.

• Profile Photo

Here's some update on the painting process.

The blue-grey sections have been painted first, followed by the blue and the dark blue ones. My preferred references show almost new aircraft very well maintained, so I'm limiting myself to minor colour variations that are post-shaded with slightly lightened and darkened shades of the original color.

Tamiya Flexible Tape works great as long as we're talking about horizontal, in-plane curvature. It has its problems however, when it comes to following vertical steps. In most of the cases I'm locally using Kabuki tape to re-paint the according sections.

This is not a camo scheme for a quick paint job on a rainy Sunday afternoon. It takes time, but it's rewarding too.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Looking very nice Halvar ! I just read your whole build thread.

The different shades of blue on the exhaust nozzles looks very realistic too. Outstand job my friend...

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Thank you Halvar for showing us flexible tape using for this... I bought it just last year, but did not have any occassion to think this way yet...
    Btw. this camo looks adorable. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Johnson said 6 years, 11 months ago:

Can't wait to see the finished product! Glad you built it with the wings down.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks, guys.

@lgardner,
    I had a great time doing this nozzle paint job. Sometimes modelling is a tedious task with little progress over weeks and sometimes it's just coming over you.

@naviatik,
    yes, it's a good product. It comes in handy for sharp edged camo schemes but it's a bit of a bit*** too as it tends to lift off slowly and unexpectedly when it's supposed to follow vertical steps.
    You know what? Many years ago I tried to mask and paint the black and white stripes of Tamiya's Renault Re-20. (this little cutie: http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/12-autos/3745-renault-re-20-turbo-tamiya.html)
    I gave it up after a while for I just couldn't get hold of any suited masking tape that would do the narrow radii. But just some days ago I thought about giving it another try now ...

@georgelj,
    yeaaaah, some guys are tempted by the opportunity to show the rockets off but that bird is just too beautiful to not show its real shape.

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 6 years, 10 months ago:

One of the cool things with Russian jets is the colours. Green, turquoise, baby-blue, whatever your heart desires, you can find it on a MIG.

The Su-33 with its exalted three-tone camo, retains itself when it comes to airframe details and wears decent white or no paint at all.

All you can see at the pictures is sprayed with self made paint masks, totally in line with George's (@georgelj) dogma that pre-cut paint masks are a waste of money.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Stunning surface... :-O

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Martin. But that one goes to Mr. Paint.

I wonder how washes will connect to this surface as I'm not intending to put any intermediate gloss coat on.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 10 months ago:

You know what mate, I learn something new ( or sometimes lots of new things ) every time I read your WIP's !
    In this case it was the blue and clear on the nozzles! They look amazing mind!
    That's a really neat masking job you have achieved as well, very impressive. I would have just cheated and got some pre cut masks!
    I'm building the Hobbyboss 1/48 SU-34 at the minute, it's a really good kit.

• Profile Photo

Many thanks, Richard.

If only there were pre cut masks available!
    Masking really went out of control at this build, see pictures below.

I hope you'll start reporting about the SU-34 build soon. I'm very interested in this one.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Once again I've just learnt something!
    Impressive skills.

• Profile Photo

Found this in a marina in Italy today. I had the impression before that the paint scheme of the Su-33 is rather an expression of artistic intention then a camouflage and now I feel justified.
    Or is it a lifeboat of the Admiral Kusnezow pretending to be a lifeboat of the Nimitz?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 6 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent progress so far, Halvar! Wish I would have time to start my Zvezda Sea Flanker :/

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Sebastijan. I opted for a full stencilling with Begemot decals and it looks as if this will take for ever.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.