Profile Photo
Steven Corvi
9 articles

1/48 PBY in Flight construction begins.....

September 13, 2023 · in Aviation · · 9 · 252

This is my 1/48 Monogram PBY--Dont see built up too much.

I am using the Belcher Bits tail correction and Eduard canopy masks. Otherwise OOB. I am also adding figures from the PM release . This will be an inflight display over my bar. Dont have room for it in my display case. This kit builds up nicely for a 1995 vintage kit & the detail is very nice! This kit has soared in price lately but it is a worthy kit to build if you have one in your stash! ...and have room to display it!

Hope you guys like it...will follow up with more pics...Using Epoxy to glue main wing spar to fuselage!


Reader reactions:
2  Awesome

11 additional images. Click to enlarge.

9 responses

  1. Gonna be good. Looking fwd to completion.

  2. An impressive start, Steven @sjcorvi
    Looking forward to the progress of this build.
    How about entering your progress as a thread in one of the groups, in that case it will be easier for you to update your progress and easier for others to follow.

  3. I built the Revell Black Cat kit in 1/72nd and found that to much bigger than I expected. Never realized just how big this bird was. I look forward to following your build and can't wait to see this parked next to a 1/48 Monogram B-17.

  4. Looking forward to this thread. I built a while back after finding decals for the British Cat that found the Bismarck. I had no place for it, and it went to a friend who still displays it..

  5. Looking forward to your build, Steven (@sjcorvi). I do have one of these lurking in the stash, but the space issues have slowed me down. Maybe hanging it from the ceiling is the answer.

  6. Beautiful work, so far.

  7. Amazing entry, Steven!

  8. Good thing you're making it "in flight" with that Belcher tail. I used it on a PBY-5A with the gear down, and had t o put sooooooo much weight in it that the only place there wasn't weight ahead of the wing was the pilots' seats and immediate surroundings. The only way someone should ever do that is to dremel away about 2/3 of the interior to get rid of the "dead weight."

    One thing with the Belcher tail - if you fill in the trenches on it and then rescribe the panel lines in accordance with what was there on the kit tail, and then use a pounce wheel to do riveting, you get a conversion that "comes together" a lot better.

Leave a Reply