1/32 Special Hobby Tempest V

Started by David Mills · 109 · 5 years ago · 100 years of the RAF group build, Hawker, Tempest
  • Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Many thanks Chuck@uscusn for your kind words!

It's great to be at a part of the build where you can actually see yourself making progress !

I had forgotten how tricky spraying white can be, it always sprays more translucent, and becomes more opaque as it dries. It's that thing of knowing when to put down the brush and to stop.

I used Tamiya XF-2 with a brushfull of XF-57 Buff - mixed 50/50 with self levelling thinner - for me it is one of the easiest whites to work with. Medium Sea Grey next.

• Profile Photo

Paul@yellow10 many thanks for the comments. The thing about invasion stripes is that they look dead simple, but once you are masking around curves it can get a bit frustrating keeping everything paralell!
    Superb post on the Spanish School - loved the artistic insight... one of my all time favourites !
    I like the Spanish Schoolers - modelling heretics !

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I was going to ask which white you used, David. Sounds like a good mix. The 'buff' has taken it down nicely. I tend to use 'insignia white' and let the black dampen it.

I have a secret admiration for those 'heretics' too! Style is style - you can love it or hate it, but it is well done!

• Profile Photo

Just a few snaps of paint in progress

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

That looks good.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Wonderful progress David. I especially like how you have captured the look of the invasion stripes.

I was online earlier today and ran across these 486 Squadron Tempest pictures.

I found three of N for Nancy, one on each side and an in flight photo.

I also noticed that some of these had stripes in various configurations. Some had full stripes top and bottom, including the fuselage. Others had just lower stripes while others had no fuselage stripes. This probably was due to the time frame that the picture was actually taken.

Then I noticed another peculiar thing. On some occasions it looks as if the stripes were reversed. These also had the black stripes painted on thinner than the white stripes. It almost looks as if the black stripes are half as wide as the white stripes. This next photo shows that fairly well.

One other odditie I found was that 486 Squadron occasionally painted the Squadron code "SA" first, on the starboard side, with the machine letters following.

These next three photos show this.

I really enjoy the research part of the building almost as much as the actual build.

I hope that these photos will help you along the way. If not for anything else, maybe these will help you with the camouflage patterns that were used.

Please keep us posted with progress and I'll be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

Your Tempest is looking fantastic David !

• Profile Photo

Louis,Thank you for the kind words its good to be able to get some paint down.

Many thanks for the photos, some of these 486 squadron Tempests I have not seen before.

As far as I can tell full invasion stripes were only in use for June/ early July 1944. After that undersides only until the end of 1944 . They were eliminated entirely from Jan 1945.

Sky spinner and band - fighter command based in the UK - generally pre 1945.

Black Spinner - no band or painted out band 2 TAF operating in Europe.

The unusual stripes are I think a hangover from the Typhoon which had then in an attempt to distinguish them from FW-190's.

Hoping to finish the wings and markings tonight, a friend at club suggested doing them separately - makes doing the the invasion stripes much easier !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Yes. full invasion stripes only used until last week of June 1944, undersides only until end of August, underside of fuselage only after that. All Allied aircraft (RAF, USAAF, etc.)

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David,
    I agree that the research part of building is great fun—and educational. This build is looking great so far.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Mark, I appreciate it, I have managed to make a bit more progress.

I decided to invest in a set of masks for the roundels...

The masks are a thin latex and are tricky to position correctly... grrrrrr... but with a little perserverence...

With the masks in place I spayed a white undercoat figuring this would help with the red...

[Pic #1]

The MRP marking red looked a bit orange/terra cotta to me, but what do I know, I'm sure it will spray fine - all their other stuff does!

It sprayed beautifully, but still looked quite orange/terra cotta...

[Pic #2]

I sprayed more MRP which made the colour more dense, and oversprayed with a thin mix of MRP/Tamiya flat red about 10/90.

[Pic #3]

I think that this has got the red about right but to my eye could do with being a bit darker.

For now I will leave it alone and see I can get this rright with a bit of post shading and weathering.. if all else fails I can still use the decals !

Next time around I would - not spray the white back ground and paint over the black.

I did learn however that Tamiya seems to be able to co exist with MRP ( with care and test spraying needed first.

Next finish the markings and the camo!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good! I'm planning a 1/72 Tempest build for our spring contest, which is D-Day themed. You're giving me lots of guidance...

• Profile Photo

Greg thanks for your comments.
    I enjoyed your posts about the aircraft your Dad flew very much,I will be digging out the Voodoo and the Thunderchief out of the stash and aiming to get them done next year!
    A bit more progress on the Tempest tonight.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some more progress on masking and painting...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A reminder for next time- spray the roundels first!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

So far Dave the effects look amazing. The roundels seem to be spot on. The paintwork outstanding. Getting closer to finishing this up.