A group of Eight various 1/48 Spitfires………. Four Airfix and Four Tamiya, Mk 1 to the FR 46 / 47

Started by Louis Gardner · 332 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Continue to be awed by this endeavor. Eager to see the herd together. Keep building!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Gear looks pretty good Louis ! Nicely done!
    Not always an easy thing on Spitfires!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Louis, that early Spit looks terrific. Just what product is that flattening agent from Tamiya, can you show me the bottle or can please? The finish is damm good!

Reading your mishaps made me smile cause lately all my builds have them also, different sort obviously, but mishaps that bog down and delay the construction pace. What I can tell you is that not only you solve them swiftly but also very efficiently, much more than I usually can do. Now, let’s see the rest of those Spits concluded, shall we? 😉

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words on these planes. It's definitely been a fun adventure and I still can't believe how much I have learned about the Spitfires during this trip.

Pedro I use Tamiya X-21 from a bottle.

It's called "Flat Base" and is for use with Acrylics only.

It has to be mixed up very well or you will get a bunch of tiny little white specs all over the finish and that will destroy all of your hard work.

You can not use this stuff straight from the bottle. If you do your headed for a disaster.

What I do is I mix it with Future clear acrylic floor sealer. I use about 70 percent Future and 30 percent Tamiya X-21. You can experiment with the ratio but this works well for me.

Now that you have mixed up the X-21 into the Future, it needs to be thinned out for spraying.

I use it thinned out with regular medical use rubbing alcohol.

I mix it up at a 50 /50 ratio. You can add more alcohol and it will dry faster and spray easier. Do some experimenting and see what works best for you.

I spray it on the model in numerous thin layers. I allow it to flash dry between coats. It dried very fast. You can even "blow dry" it using your air brush to simply blow air onto the surfaces. You will see it dry right before your eyes.

If you want it to look more flat instead of shiny, keep adding more layers and before you know it, you will get the look you're after.

If you're going for a more "flat" looking finish then you can add a little more of the Tamiya X-21 into the future. I would really add too much because it seems to work better with less.

This is something that you can experiment with to see what you like best.

One minor drawback is that on occasion it can give your model a slightly off white look at certain angles. But it's really not very noticeable and I think that it gives your model a more scale effect that lightens up the colors just a little.

Hope this helps ...

• Profile Photo

Today I started adding the decals to one of the Tamiya Mk. I Spitfires.

This is going to be a machine from 222 Squadron.

My friend Paul Nash has been a tremendous help with providing some great information on these early Spitfires.

He even sent me the correct Squadron code decals and aircraft numbers for the fuselage.

If you're reading this thanks Paul !

I did not do anything else with the Tamiya clipped wing Mk V last night, but I'll try to get some more work done on it tomorrow.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This WIP - has been the bedrock of the GB, Louis. I can only guess at how big an effort this has been. With each post more education occurs and the Spitfires keeping looking better and better. Like so many I really want to see your final photo of them all together. I have been banging on about it for months - really exciting!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Louis, a big thank you for the (very) comprehensive explanation about the Flat Tamiya product. It looks a somewhat demanding stuff to get it right, but by following your steps I bet I won’t wonder off from that matt finish your Spitfire shows. I will try it very soon on my ongoing BP Defiant, all black, it’s got to be one of the most matt black camouflage in a WW2 plane, so this product might be what suits best. Thanks a lot Buddy!

• Profile Photo

Your welcome Pedro. I hope you can use this successfully. Painting this mixture on a black surface could be a little tricky. It tends to lighten the colors up a little. I would highly recommend trying it on a test panel first before I used it on the BP Defiant.

This final photo with all of the Spitfires on one picture is going to take some creativity... and a lot of space !

• Profile Photo
    Łukasz Matuszczak said 5 years, 5 months ago:

I wanted to share one picture which was found in my archive from building my Spitfire model. I bought the beer when I was on training on University Brighton.
    So what is better than drinking a Spitfire during building a Spitfire?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This is quite the interesting WIP, Louis! Like was mentioned previously, I AM learning here. I'm sure others are, too.

Your Spitfires look VERY good. I have questions I'll ask "in person," however - I don't want to monopolize this thread. (As much "in person" as a phone call can be. LoL!)

• Profile Photo

Lukasz,
    That has to be the coolest looking beer bottle ever ! 🙂 Thanks for sharing it.

Jeff, I'm happy to hear that you're picking up a few tips and pointers from this build log.

• Profile Photo

Between postings of several of my 1930's decade builds in the headlines section, I managed to finish up the decals on the 222 Squadron Spitfire.

The walkway decals were added...as was the "Gas detection panel". That's the yellow looking square on top of the Port side wing.

All of the various stencils were added too. Now this one will sit overnight and possibly tomorrow it will get a clear coat using the Tamiya "Flat Base".

Next on deck is Alan Deere's "KIWI II" "KL*B"

as usual,
    Comments are encouraged.

Thanks

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 5 months ago:

All looking good Louis, I've not heard of that gas detection panel before !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan.

From what I have read, the gas detection panel was applied to various aircraft during this time frame. During this period in the War, it was believed that the Germans were going to be using chemical weapons over the U.K.

So these panels were used as an early detection method.

They're supposed to change colors when exposed to gas.

• Profile Photo

Today I added the decals to the Al Deere Spitfire.

Here's how the two Tamiya Mk I's looked afterwards.

The next step was to let them dry a while and then I sprayed the Tamiya X-21 flattening agent on both of them.

I'll let them dry for a while and then hopefully I'll get some more work done on these two.

My goal is to get these last 4 Spitfires finished before Saturday evening and hopefully a few will get posted.

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks