A group of Eight various 1/48 Spitfires………. Four Airfix and Four Tamiya, Mk 1 to the FR 46 / 47

Started by Louis Gardner · 332 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Ohh, that idea of replicating the red tape worked like a gem, it’s very, very realistic indeed. Super work as usual Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the kind responses. I watched the video you provided at it had some great stuff in it ! I especially like how he wasn't able to get the ammo boxes installed in the short amount of time that was allocated. In fact he didn't even come close ! Granted he doesn't do this for a living day in and day out.

This is a testament to the ground crews who maintained these planes. It was these maintenance people that are often neglected to be mentioned by historians.

Tonight I made some more progress. This time it was on the Airfix Mk Vb Spitfire.

George Beurling's Malta Spitfire...

Please follow along and I'll explain in the next installment.

Thanks

• Profile Photo

Tonight was started by building up the propeller. I had to install the prop shaft and make sure it turned afterwards.

Then I turned my attention to weathering the exhaust manifolds. I used the Tamiya weathering decks to make them look like this.

It's easier to add exhaust staining before you install the exhaust pipes. Here I'm adding this to the fuselage. I can go back later and fine tune it better.

By now the propeller assembly has dried. I wanted to try something new. So I took a colored pencil and colored in the rear face of the propeller blades using a color called argent silver. The front facing received a little of the excess.

Here you can see the back side of the propeller blades. The desert sand eats the paint away rather quickly on the back sides faster than the front. I used my fingers and smudged the argent silver until I was happy with how it looks.

Here you can see the exhaust manifolds, the propeller and the color pencil I used in this next photo.

Having the parts ready, the next step was a breeze. The manifolds simply snapped in place. Then I glued them permanently from the inside since the propeller was not added yet.

The propeller assembly was added next.

The last part I added was the cockpit side entrance door. I also removed the tape from the clear parts and this is how it looks now.

The next step will be to install the landing gear. This is a weak spot of the kit and I'm not looking forward to this.

I'm calling it a night.

Thanks for looking and as always

Comments are encouraged.

Good night.

• Profile Photo

I just pulled the trigger on these two Tamiya kits from Hannants UK. I have never ordered from them before, and I wanted the new tool Tamiya Mk I Spitfire.

This P-47 "razor back" is something that I also have been wanting for quite some time now... especially since I have the decals for "Hun Hunter XIV" from the 65th FS in 1944.

Both are 1/48 scale. I'll post up some pictures once they arrive from "across the pond".

This will be my Christmas present this year.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 4 months ago:

you won't be disappointed. Great kits, excellent online Hobby Shop to deal with.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Hannant's is the world's best hobby shop.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:
    1. Hannants is also great because there are real humans to speak to once you go through the door!

2. Louis! Another Spitfire! You may need to talk to seek professional help...

3. Fantastic stuff going on at the Iron Werks - I might be changing my mind again...

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 4 months ago:

"2. Louis! Another Spitfire! You may need to talk to seek professional help…." Wait a minute, some of us are living vicariously through this mans efforts. Why he hasn't even begun the Spitfire Eleven.

This shorts combines all of the elements of neat a story. A Yank, flying a Spitfire being used by the Americans, has to crash land after his gear fails to come down. I know I'll be doing this one in a year or two.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the video Stephen ! I just finished watching it... twice ! It is an amazing story and I can see why you want to build that plane.

That was some amazing stuff indeed... Thank you and Merry Christmas.

• Profile Photo

Over the last few days I have not made too much progress on this Malta Spitfire. My work shop is not heated and it's been unusually cold where I live. It's been in the 30's and lower 40's each night. I know that it's not cold for many locations but it's cold enough that the paint and glue doesn't seem to work as it should. So the "Iron Werks" had a temporary distraction.

I did manage to get a little something done however.

Here you can see the main gear legs and door covers ready for installation. I wrapped the oleo struts using "Ultra Bright" Bare Metal Foil.

They have been installed at this point. This has to be the weakest link in the entire kit.

I also added the radio mast and the clear light on top of the fuselage spine. The canopy masking was also removed.

Maybe later tonight I can get some more done.

Thanks for looking !

and Merry Christmas

• Profile Photo

I took full advantage of the warmer weather today and things are looking good.

I added the sliding canopy and the radio antenna cable.

The wheels are now in place. Other than this landing gear arrangement this kit has been a very enjoyable model to build. I also had a little trouble with the forward upper fuselage insert that acts as a mount for the windshield. These are the only two troubled spots in this kit.

The tail wheel was also added and properly painted.

Once these parts were installed all that was left to get done was to "dirty" this one up some.

So out came my Tamiya weathering decks. The end results are seen here.

The next time you see this Malta Spitfire it will be on its reveal.

Meanwhile I'll take a few pictures of it and post this one up in the 1940's decade section.

I'm happy with how it looks. This George Beurling Malta Spitfire is now complete.

Another one is done at the "Iron Werks" or "Casa Bromwich" as it has recently been called.

As usual comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

I decided to spend a little bit of Christmas Eve spraying on some paint... so I took about 30 minutes and did this:

I decided on this particular scheme for the remaining Tamiya Mk Vb that was ready for paint. I chose it simply because I liked the fuselage codes of "FL*A". It's the abbreviation of my home State of Florida.

If things work out as hoped for, I just might be able to knock out another Spitfire before the end of the year.
    I used Model Master RAF "Medium Sea Gray"...

and started spraying the landing gear

Then the landing gear wheel wells... finally blending it into the undersides of the lower wings.

Before I knew it, I had the entire undersides completed.

This is how this Spitfire looks at the moment.

I'm letting things dry over night, and possibly on Christmas Night, I'll get a little bit more done.

Thanks for looking ...

and Merry Christmas to all !

Good night.

• Profile Photo

I took yesterday off as it was Christmas Day. A day that should be spent with family and friends, to remember the birth of Christ.

Tonight I was busy with masking and painting on the last Tamiya Mk Vb.

In this next photo you can see how I masked the underside and left a little spot open for the fuselage Sky colored band.

The area was sprayed on the sides of the rear fuselage on both sides.

I ensured that the color wrapped around the rear of the fuselage as this band is going to be painted rather than a decal.

I also gave the spinner a little color too.

The color I used was Model Master RAF Sky Type "S". Unfortunately this is also a color that was recently discontinued by Rustoleum.

This color can be used in a pinch as a Late War Luftwaffe primer color that is occasionally mentioned as RLM 84.

This paint will dry overnight and hopefully tomorrow I can mask off the fuselage band and the code letters "FL*A".

As usual comments are encouraged.

Thanks again for following this build.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Lookin' good, Lou!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 4 months ago:

It seems that several lines of paints have been bough-ten out to allow one manufacture to better control the market and serve the customer. Unfortunately, they don't know their customers...the ones who like British aircraft. I've seen runs(buy outs) of paints at my local LHS. Keep up the good work Louis. The painting or the finish is turning out well indeed and when your on a run...don't stop. Now that you've purchased the new Tamiya Spitfire and if it arrives in a timely matter ... it will be like a foot ball team in the finals at its peaks and ready to win the Super bowl. Enough pontificating.