Bernie’s SE5a – Eduard 1/48 ’Wolseley Viper’

Started by Paul Barber · 66 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

While I was looking through the inventories for the RAF100 GB, pondering in more detail how to put together the final presentation, I realised that one 'new build', sadly, was not going to come to fruition. I was putting in an internet order to my not-so-local model store for supplies and I saw that they had a weekend version of the Eduard kit that Bernie Hackett was to have contributed to the GB. With the deepest respect of course, I am going to build the kit in order that Bernie's contribution can still be made. I don't intend to make this a detailed WIP - there have been a couple of outstanding builds of Eduard 1/48th versions on iM recently - I will just post a few updates and details to complete the contribution.

I have made a start by priming the main parts of this (very small) SE5a. I will use Abteilung 502 oils for some of the wood, and Eduard photo-etch for some details.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Well done Paul @yellow10, having not had a lot of interaction with Bernie, I do realize what an impact he had on members in this community. This is a great statement to others about his being a substantial part in this fellowship.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

I just wanna say, it does my heart good to see a workbench so cluttered, ya can't find anything - it's perfect! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Made me spit my tea out laughing, Craig - 4 planes on there - all in pieces. I reckon if you asked me where any particular part was I'd have about an even chance!

• Profile Photo

James, thanks for the kind words. Bernie appeared on most of our threads with words of kindness, knowledge and humour. Your comment about fellowship and his essential part in it, nails it.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Having been a friend of Bernie since I became aware of iModeler, I'm sure he'd be proud of this and he'd appreciate your tribute.

Well done, Paul! I look forward to more of this.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Jeff, great to hear from you. David's fantastic build is the real tribute - I just wanted to keep Bernie in this GB, and ensure his planned contribution went to completion. He made a great choice of subject, and I'm absolutely certain he'd have produced a way more impressive and much better informed build than me!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Being the guy who let Bernie know iModeler existed, and having enjoyed his friendship over the net (I'm sure if we had met in "real" reality the "virtual" reality would have been confirmed), I find myself thinking of him every time I scroll past his name in my e-mail address book. I really think he'd get a kick out of you doing this, Paul. Great idea.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It looks like you have an "Iron Werks" of your own going on there my friend.

I call it controlled chaos... 🙂

Bernie would be proud to see you doing this. It's a great gesture on your part.

You're a good man Paul.

@yellow10

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Tom and Louis, I am finding myself much more relaxed doing this small SE5 than I thought. I’m just having fun and learning a little as I go. Without being too corny I’m feeling lighter knowing that I’m building for something somewhat different to the eternally illusive perfect build.

Here’s a brief update. A little wood base prior to oils. Some doped linen. A few details in the seat and IP - including Eduard etch. Some preshading on the wings. And a little progress with the WV engine.

• Profile Photo

I’ve started the process of using oils to try to recreate wood.

I had already painted various parts with an acrylic base wood colour (AK) and next made a mix of 502 Abteilung Oils - ochre, raw umber, burnt umber. When the colour looked about right I painted it on, and after 12 hours used a clean flat brush to remove a lot of it and create a bit of texture.

Next I’ll develop the engine for a while as the oils dry, and then varnish the wooden bits before continuing with a wash and perhaps a tiny bit more grime.

It’s a bit of a voyage into the unknown so any comments and hints will be gratefully received.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Here are a few pictures I found online a few years ago.

This propeller seems to be laminated from various layers of wood, similar to how the Germans did it with the "Axial" props you often saw on Albatros, Dr-1's and D-7's. But the wood species seems to be the same and are not too much of a different color like the different layers of wood found on the Axial props.

The cockpit / interior:

If you look close, the inside of the fabric is a different color than what you would expect. This is probably a modern iron on type material. The original would have used a doped linen. The interior color of doped linen would look to be lighter than the outside color. This color would depend on what color dope they applied first, before the final PC -10 color was used. Often they used a clear dope, so the inside would look more like a "dark" natural linen.

The dope was used to seal the weave of the fabric, (making it more weather proof) and it also helped to shrink the covering tightly around the wooden structure that lied beneath. It was not uncommon for several coats of dope to be applied. But believe it or not, this "multiple coats thing" was occasionally limited for weight concerns... and costs versus production time came into play as well.

If you look close, you can see a spare Lewis MG drum stored on top of the IP. Can you imagine having to change out a drum during a dog fight ?

Here's the same plane before they painted it in PC 10. Here again you see the light gray color on the fabric covered areas. Some of the lower areas appear to be painted in aluminum dope, also something a new replica would have to help extend the service life of the fabric materials.

Here's a close up of the under carriage: You can see more aluminum paint here...

I was keeping these to use as a reference when it came time to detail the 1/6 scale RC flying model I eventually plan on building.

When I paint a wooden prop, I first start off by spraying a shade of a solid tan color to use as the base. Then I go back with oils or even darker colors of brown and "dry brush" the darker browns on. The tan base doesn't have to dry, if it blends in, this helps to get the natural wood look you're going after.

Here's a final picture. I may have more if you need them...

I hope these help... and Bernie would be proud as a peacock !

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Terrific photos, Louis. I think it’s a great idea to complete this build as a tribute and for Bernie’s name to take its place in the roll call. Well done, Paul.

• Profile Photo

Louis, these are just perfect. They have confirmed my choice of wood colour which is a relief and let me know the correct colour of the Lewis Drum. And I am researching how to paint a laminated look for the prop. Some good YouTube tutorials out there. Thanks so much - this will be really useful!

• Profile Photo

David, one of the reasons I am really happy to get guidance and direction for this build is that I really get the feeling that it is a total team effort! And it feels right!