Why do people fall in love?

Started by david leigh-smith · 73 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Well that fossil has come along nicely! Great work. I like seeing these old kits built to such a high standard.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 4 months ago:

And to you, David. Perhaps we could meet up at some point over the Christmas period? Would be great.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I'm so dense sometimes, David. Knowing where you work I should have guessed 'Brexit', and the shambles it has become for pretty much all involved, would have pushed your clientele into a long (I won't say orderly) queue - good luck with that - it could run for decades...

As to the 'contraption' (Tom's apposite label) - it looks great! I love the riveting - sow's ear, meet silk purse!

Great tree. Taking the kids to The Grinch today - and the house is creaking under the pressure of hidden presents! Love it!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. I wish I had the time to do more remedial work on her and get the old girl up to scratch, but she’s put up such a fight I fear the thrill has gone. No more does my pulse quicken at the thought of spending time with her, nor does my mind drift toward thoughts of how to best find and elevate her form. Alas my head is turned by younger, sleeker models (literally) and thoughts turn to not to rotor blades, but the graceful sweep of an elliptical wing or the elegant curve of a laminar fuselage. Love is fickle. But we’ll have good memories...

• Profile Photo

A lot of my work is in Westminster, you’ll be familiar with the phrase ‘lunatics taking over the asylum’...

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Looking better with some paint on it David, I don't think I'll get around to building mine !

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 4 months ago:

My money is still on you lot coming to your senses over the next 90 days. That ECJ ruling that you can independently revoke the invocation of Article 50 sounds just like the typical British way of "muddling through." Fingers crossed. Now if we can put the dotard on notice next month...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Wow, a dog of a helicopter followed by a dog of a kit. Seems fitting, but you David ,will master this beast, I'm sure of it. Well I'm pretty sure, maybe kind of sure, I mean it could happen. Maybe. What's the old Chinese proverb, "a thousand mile journey begins with a single step." Heck you're more than half way there.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 4 months ago:

I don't know David, having a fling with a whirlybird and having it end up as a "Fatal Attraction" ...just because she's an older lady and a Dog. What do you tell the Mrs when applying decals (The Glenn Close type of model) and that bowl of water and X-acto blade slips and you end up at the Surgery? I did it for Love...no it was Lust. Modeling Lust. B.B. King sang " The thrill is Gone" which is modeling speak for "Shelf of Doom". Been there done that and laughed at by the Mrs.

Keep going, chin up and knock out this bird with a beautiful finish. You can't go wrong with the "Classic's ".

• Profile Photo

Don’t bet on it, Tom. The party in charge really have no idea whatsoever what they are doing, and that’s not a cliche - they really are in panic mode with no plan. My best guess is the PM will get ousted, we’ll have more chaos, and we’ll move further and further from any sense of order for a long time. We’ll see. But I think after all those years mending and building relationships in Europe, this is insane.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom. I need the encouragement!

• Profile Photo

Stephen, you are crazy like a fox.

Anyway, I’m in real danger of finishing this helo - two consecutive days at the bench these days is like winning the lotto.

Touched up the camo, and painted the underside. Stuck on the wheels, and thinking of attaching the exhausts (hollow tubing; the kit detail here was just shocking). Masked off the canopy (classic old airfix, canopy in two parts split with a seam right up the middle). She’s looking better, and I think after some weathering and a bit of shine, she might scrub up pretty ok.

May not be marriage material, but you got to dance with the girl you bring to the party, no?

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 5 years, 4 months ago:

They call the Phantom "Double ugly" and the Buccaneer " The Brick".
    Engineers like to say form follows function...the front of helo looks like a Dragon fly to me. David, by building this model your passing on the good word of modeling, ignorance is bless and hope springs eternal. Perhaps the bird looks more like Pop Eye's Olive Oil. You got to give Airfix credit for not only making a kit but, showing a little history, educating the young and old on British aviation.

• Profile Photo

You are correct, Stephen. It’s close to impossible to think of a situation where a modern manufacturer would produce a Belvedere (thankfully, some may say) and Airfix do deserve credit for making this kit. For me, when thinking of A project for this Group Build (thanks @yellow10 ), I wanted to make something that was a little different and symbolised the innovation and diversity of the RAF.

I still think there’s a certain attraction to her.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Where did you find that camo scheme? I found an article on this thing (in which a pilot remembers it was as horrible as it was) and all the photos have it in silver on operations. Just curious, this looks better.

BTW the author wrote that the Belvedere was the only RAF flying machine to have armor plate behind the pilot to protect him from the airplane (the forward engine had a tendency to come to pieces without warning).