RAF 1/48 Tamiya Bristol Beaufighter Mk.VIF 61053

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 95 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Now with the masking portion completed, time to first apply the RAF interior Green over the window frames. This will represent the interior color viewing from the inside of the aircraft. Going over rear blister and the wing mounted lamps.

Next up is airbrushing the Copper cowl rings and exhaust outlets. I will be using Vallejo Copper for this.

First stuffing some tissue to cover the engine before apply the Copper.

After applying the Copper coat I will let these sit over night before masking them off.

pic8]

That will be my next installment for this WIP. I do feel that the Copper may be too bright like a new freshly minted Copper U.S. Penny. We'll see how it goes. More to follow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 8 months ago:

Once the Copper has dried. Next is to mask off the painted section of each cowling and then install them.

Next is removing the air scoops off the sprue, trim and install. 1st attach the engine nacelles to each wing and then attach the scoops.

Finally complete each of the engines are installed.

Next up time to paint, more to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 8 months ago:

You have definitely made some great progress since the last time I looked at this build log...

Looks good Chuck.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

You keep telling us how great this kit is, Chuck. The WIP is super informative for those who are going to build one of these. It’s flying together! Great stuff!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks Louis though it seems it is a long build, despite all the parts, this plane goes together rather quickly.
    Thanks Paul, there is a lot going for this kit, yet Tamiya simplicity in the engineering makes it all work together into a fine model.

• Profile Photo

Next up is to do the preshading process, being mostly a Grey/Dk Green scheme. Not that much Green. I use Nato Black for shading the panel lines. I had removed the landing gear for the painting process. I had purposely did that when the time came to start the painting.

First starting from the bottom and then over the top.

I will use Aeromaster Warbird acrylic Ocean Grey for the lower and upper surfaces. Tamiya Dark Green for the 2nd color on top. You can see how the pre-shade works on the lower half. The desired effect.

Next I airbrushed the Ocean Grey over the whole airframe top and bottom. Laid down well through my Paasche H single action air brush.

Then I will let it sit overnight to mask off the sharp edge that will separate the demarcation line from the upper portion of the airframe. So we will do this tomorrow.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

The pre shading looks great ! You can just see the subtle differences in the final color. The overall finish also looks very smooth. The Beau fighter should be getting closer to decal time...

Looking forward to seeing the next installment.

• Profile Photo

That’s really well done Chuck. I’ve seen so many including myself obliterate the preshading with too much paint coverage. It doesn’t always come across well in photos but this looks spot on. Fine work, indeed!

• Profile Photo

It is still a process, finding that middle ground of too much paint or not enough. This time with the Ocean Grey it went perfect. Especially underneath where oil leaks, grime, turf and dirt picked up by the wheels. Gun blast residue will accumulate over use.

• Profile Photo

After sitting a couple of days, I masked off the portion of the fuselage and engine nacelles to mark the sharp demarcation line when airbrushing the RAF DK Green. I free handed the feathered edges on the wings and fuselage. Tamiya Dark Green is excellent for applying the 2nd color, very little clogging issues. Which makes for a stress free paint job.

Next was to apply the future gloss coat to prepare for the decal process. It will sit over the week before tackling the decals. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Superb work, Chuck. You seem to be putting a little extra into this one; maybe the latent memories of that kid at Sears. I think the things we desire at that age never truly leave us, especially if you don’t have much. I think I’ve mentioned it, but I have a 1/24 Mustang in the pile that provokes similar memories. When I get around to building her, I think that 12 year old kid who stared at it through the toy shop window for weeks on end will be right beside me.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Its all coming together very nicely Chuck, you're capturing that wonderful 'Bruiser' quality that the Beaufighter had.

• Profile Photo

I have to agree - I’m surprised to find myself saying that it seems you are outdoing yourself here - that paint job is very very impressive. A great scheme and beautifully executed!

• Profile Photo

Thanks everyone, it was one of those days when everything worked, no clogging while airbrushing the Green. Even finish much better that I hoped for. Now to get the decals on and get it done. Thanks.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Excellent work my friend... Cherish that day as it doesn't happen all that often, when things work like a clock. This should be even more stunning after the decals are on. I'm really looking forward to seeing that... Well done my friend.