Tamiya 1/48th Avro Lancaster B.III Dambuster RAF 100 anniversary

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 129 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Now it's time to mask off the upper color scheme to apply the black lower and side surfaces. The Lancaster demarcation line is set quite high on the side of the fuselage and engine nacelles. Overall the black is not totally flat in it's final finish but as a satin finish not quite glossy.
    1st starting with the fuselage, wrapped her with plastic and Tamiya tape. Even taking your time it is not so easy keeping a straight line from stem to stern. These are the paints being used for the scheme. Gunze Aqueous RAF Dark Earth, Tamiya RAF Dark Green and Aircraft Colors Night Black. All water based acrylics.

Next masking off the twin tails.

Then the 4 engine nacelles.

After masking the nacelles, I went back to the tails and decided to attach the counter balances to each side now. The risk is low now to knocking them off.

I painted the wings first. The Night Black the listed as an RLM Schwarz, it leaves a satin finish when it dries.

Next the tails. Each side of the rudders are black.

And finally the fuselage, starting at the bottom and work my way to each side. I also had installed the "towel rack" under the fuselage.

Once dry I carefully with great anticipation peeled off the masking. Holding my breath through out the process.
    Cool, looks great so far. I insert the tails

And now, drum roll,! The wings are snapped back in. And wallah!

Now let it sit for a day, and prepare for some decals.
    more to follow.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

That is one very big beastie of an airplane, Chuck. Appreciate all the photos in a step by step, systematic approach; helps to really follow your build the way you work on it.
    The delineation line is really impressive and in this scale must have taken a lot of focus to get this result. I am very impressed by the overall attention to detail and patience you've shown - it's easy at this stage to get carried away and speed up (always find that kid's anticipation has never left me near the end of a build).

That wing span is deeply impressive and the photos you've taken really give a sense of size.

Huge kudos.

• Profile Photo

Thanks David Leigh, the Beaufighter is coming along and I didn't realize how large the Beau is. I will have it next to the Lanc next time and show the size comparisons along with a Spit and a Typhoon. Here I can get a little slow now that it's time to add the decals. Not many, but the wing walk lines will take a lot of patience. Will see how it goes.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

What a HUGE difference the black paint has made for the build. It looks fantastic Chuck. If you don't mind, can you post a picture of it sitting next to the Beaufighter, and possible a Spit or the Typhoon like you mentioned ? I'm curious.

You're at the point in the build where things start happening rather fast. Progress can be seen with every step. It's not like you're sanding primer which is tedious and time consuming.

Please don't make the mistake I did with trying to rush things. It can bite you if you do... you saw what happened to the He-111. I was fortunate in that I could save it.

The photo you posted showing the underside of the wing in it's semi gloss black looks fantastic and is my favorite so far. It shows off the wonderful details of the under carriage and wheel / tire assembly very well. Nicely done !

I'll be looking forward to your next installment ! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis, since I ,mentioned that I wanted to not only break out the Tiffie and Beau, I thought maybe one of it's nemesis, the BF-110G Nachtfighter as well. Just to show what a Lancaster may face at night. Yes the decal stage is up and will go easy as there are quite a few delicate walk way stripes to lay down. I thought of painting them on, but that thought didn't stick for a New York minute. I am hoping to keep that semi glossy look when using the satin finish after the decal stage. Hopefully it will preserve the finish.

• Profile Photo

Now time to decal the Lanc. I will be using some of the decals from this set that are for a normal B.III Lanc for some of the stenciling and wing walk decals.

The MicroSet, MicroSol & Solva Set, along with warm water, tweezers, 2 brushes, paper towel, scissors and a Q-tip for my decal process, or what is called the Micro Scale system. (AeroSet and Aero Sol is the same stuff).

Next some future mixed 50/50 for the glossy finish.

First was to apply the tail markings in 4 positions.

Then starting on the LH wing, was applying the Roundels. Now the Roundels in the Sexy Lanc decal set were much larger than the decals from the Tam kit.

I decided to use the Tamiya decals, though thick, they didn't break up when placed in the water. Simply amazing, decals from the 70's that were not in a plastic bag but exposed in the box. Yet i have had Tam kit decals break up immediately as soon as they hit the water, kits not even half the age of the Lanc. And to make matters worse the wing walk decals were not much better from the Sexy Lanc decal set. Long and thin and were very fragile. Plenty of Solva Set was applied on the Tam decal roundel so they would wiggle down over the panel lines. And a bit of silvering also showed as well.

What I did was to order a set of Techmod decals that provided the wing walks. And these cooperated much better, same long black stripes. But being careful and taking your time and keeping it wet to allow for adjustment without breaking them up is easier said than done.

Once the stripes were done it was time to apply the stenciling for the fuel tanks and wing walk caution stencils.

Done with the LH wing, I would do the RH one tomorrow. Quite tedious, so now I focused my attention on the fuselage. Using the Sexy Lanc roundels, they were the same size as the kit decals.

I used the kit's squadron codes. Again remarkably despite being on clear carrier with the AJ in red. They did not disintegrate or tear when applying them in place. Again keeping the area wet to allow for adjustment.

Then piecing together the serial number.

So far so good.

One small stencil next to forward observation window.

Now to decal the RH wing. So much easier to do this process with the wings off. Stay right on top of things, plenty of elbow room. Still just taking my time. No rush. Again applying the roundel first. Then the wing walks. The red warning square located inboard of the wing.

This time around much easier, after learning from the LH side. The last items were the red warning stripes under the wings and fuselage. And with that were done. Next to lay the flat coat.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Looking very good now Chuck - it is only once the paint goes on that you really know the quality of the sanding and finishing - and looking around the nacelles you have absolutely nailed it. The pre-decal photos with the sharp demarcation between 'black' and green/earth camo, showing the whole aircraft have got me really excited - this is a real gem - a star of the RAF100 show!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Super work, Chuck. As I slog away at my B-17, I very much take inspiration from this build and a target in terms of standard to aim for.

Nearly there and I look forward to seeing her in the Headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 10 months ago:

OK, Chuck, you've officially gone and done it. I was out in the garage going through Da Stash on Friday, and saw two boxes, the contents of which I couldn't recall. Opened them up and - lo and behold! - there was the Dambuster Tamiya Lancaster I had been working on to finish back in May 2013 for the 70th anniversary. All the subassembly work completed. There's the Xtradecals sheet for the Dambusters. So I have now pulled those boxes out and hopefully this thing will get its completion for this build. Since it's David Maltby's airplane, it can be a comrade to yours. Thanks for the inspiration to finally take this out of the Pile of Doom.

• Profile Photo

Hey Paul, maybe so, and thanks, though not perfect in anyway, still it could be a bit better. This kit has some very fine rivet and raised panel lines throughout. Lot of it lost around the seam work. Probably the main reason I put this off for so long. Regardless she is coming along just fine, getting close to finally finishing it.

• Profile Photo

I can understand your struggles Dave, a tough kit to build as it is, much less modifying it to represent a heavily damaged plane after a mission. A major modification with all kinds of details to add. Lots of patience involved. This is where the passion comes in, and it will show in your work.

• Profile Photo

Hi Tom, funny how this just sat even much longer, if it wasn't for the RAF 100th anniversary this may stay be sitting on the later to get back to shelf. A tinker here and there, otherwise just lingering in front of me as it has been for years. Looking forward to seeing yours come to a nice finish.

• Profile Photo

Getting back into this, after airbrushing Mission Flat clear over the Dk Earth/Dk Green, next was to use Satin clear finish over the black. Once this is done let it sit for an hour.
    Next was the process of removing the maskings over the clear canopy and windows.

A shot from the rear showing the tails and camo pattern over the top of the fuselage.

A view of the LH rudder and tail.

Next to install the rear turret sans gun barrels to be installed towards the end of the build.

A view of the lower RH wing as I prepare to install the landing gear doors. Coming to the end of this build very soon.

The props inserted into the prop bosses. Soon to be followed with the spinners.

Next the final installment of this magnificent model of the Lancaster.

more to follow. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Looking good Chuck!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

After looking at this last posting, I hate to say it, but if the next one is the end I'll be missing reading the updates... as I really enjoyed watching the Lancaster come to life.

You have done a magnificent job my friend... It looks fantastic, and I'll bet it's a huge model once all assembled.