Vickers Wellington Mk.I, 20 Sq (OCU), crashed in Loch Ness, 1940.

Started by John Healy · 36 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 4 months ago:

The new Airfix kit is miles ahead of the Trumpy with its overdone surface detail, and the MPM regarding fit. In comparison, those two kits are now obsolete.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Looking excellent! I have the Trumpy kit...as much as I like what I see in this Airfix rendition, I'll build what I have.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Tom! It’s a fun model.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg! Build away!

• Profile Photo

I closed it up today. Good fit all around with just a bit of CA used on the seams.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Time to mask and install the clear parts. I hope to get some paint on it by the weekend. The sharp eyed will notice that one of the nose guns is short shot, lacking its flash suppressor. No worries, I’ll graft one on from one of the unused beam guns.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Looking sensational, John. The interior work is so impressive and the construction looks really well done. Getting excited for this one too!

• Profile Photo

Masked up and ready for paint. A few swipes of the sanding stick will clean up the corners of the windscreen that needed a bit of filler to avoid having a small step. I’m going to spray the upper surface camo green/earth, mask it off and spray the black.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Dark earth from a 25 year old tin of Xtracolor! The fuselage windows need a a bead of white glue around them before I spray the green and black.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Coming along nicely John, that paint has lasted well !

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Love the Xtracolour enamels. Down to a few left. All over 20 years old. The glossy finish eliminates the gloss clear step. Coming along very well John.

• Profile Photo

You're gonna do it, aren't you John? You and your inspirational modeling. You're gonna make me put that thing on the top of the pile (right after the 1/48 Blenheim that arrived yesterday is as wonderful as they say). Great work here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. Xtracolor and Humbrol last forever. Xtracolor is available again in the US through Kitlinx, who purchased Roll Models stock. I got my Blenheim the other day too, Tom. It looks like a really nice kit.

• Profile Photo

The Blenheim IS a nice kit. Wonderful design. I sure do wish Revell had seen their (accurate) design for the landing gear, which works both accurately and easily; I might still have a Beaufighter in the collection.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 4 months ago:

John, that is good to know as the source I used was Roll Models, took them forever to ship it, but always got the merch. So I will check it out to restock some critical colors. Merry Christmas!