Where was the RAF at Dunkirk?

Started by Paul Barber · 148 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Beautiful work Paul !

You're a much braver man than I. I didn't want to tackle an open gun bay. But you did and it looks fantastic.

This is a good option that Airfix provides. I'll be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks, Louis - a lot of work to do to get it tidy, and I am only doing one spit and one hurri! I’ve lost count of yours!

I’ll do the Spitfire gun bay once this one is tidied up.

I agree, though for Airfix to build in the option at 1/48 is a nice touch. Let’s see what Tamiya do with the reported new Spit Mk 1! If they go the route of an open cowling like they did with the 109G6 that would be brilliant!

• Profile Photo

I couldn't agree more. If Tamiya offers a new tool 1/48 Spitfire that is anything like their new 109, I'd have to definitely purchase a few of those !

I ended up getting 3 of the new tool 109's and I could make room for a few more Spitfires in the stash too. Since this 100 years of the RAF has started, I have been doing some research and have stumbled across a few more versions of the early Mk 1's that are just screaming to be built !

I say bring it on Tamiya, and sign me up for three !

Your progress is looking fantastic my friend. I'll bet the Spitfire is going to be just as nice.

• Profile Photo

So now the Spit and Hurri are undergoing a bit of a growth spurt and are being filled using Mr Surfacer 500 or 1200 depending on the size of the (minor) gaps - very minor wing fitting issues in both cases. Sanding pending.

The wings are on and the guns are in. A bit more glueing of the stabilisers and flaps to come and then some masking and canopies. My favourite...

Not exactly ‘Casa Bromwich’ but I’ll take it as far as progress goes. I may even open the box on that ‘testing’ Lysander again!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Good work so far on the Spit and Hurricane. The open bun bays are a nice touch. I may venture into doing that on a future build down the road. Just have to be motivated I guess, though yours do give some inspiration. Looking forward to the next step.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Chuck. Both Airfix kits give you the options and the parts, so I thought I’d have a go. Only one wing this time. Not perfect but nice experience for the next time!

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Total agree with Chuck. It would be a great adventure to show the interior.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Nice work Paul - they look as though they are going together very well!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, David. They are brilliantly designed and engineered. In some ways they are a little tight in their fit! Overall both have been nice builds so far. I liked The Eduard Mk IX a lot - it was excellent in its detail, design and fit. At some point in 2019 I am planning to build their VIII. With Tamiya rumoured to be unveiling their new Mk I at their showcase at the end of the month, it seems there is a growing list of 1/48th scale high quality Spitfires. I have to say, whenever I have built one, including when I was much younger, the moment the trademark shape comes together I get a warm feeling!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

The only real "complaint" one can have about the Eduard Spitfire is why in the name of all that's holy they didn't make the upper cowling in one piece - not like it was some difficult bit of molding with today's technology. There's a not-so-expensive resin part from Barracuda, but just scraping the joint clean and gluing carefully and sanding carefully, one can get by, and if you have a pounce wheel restoring surface detail is no problem. The assembly of the exhausts is also a head-scratcher. Never doubt Eduard's ability to complicate things.

• Profile Photo

If I was forced to have a gripe, and I really didn’t with the Eduard kit, I think the element you speak of Tom, where the part count goes up unnecessarily would be it - but for me in the wheel wells. Whatever they took when deciding to make that ring out of 3 parts instead of 1 was bad medicine! Same story - they could surely have moulded it in one piece and maintained detail. It went together well enough. I guess it’s a bit ‘trademark’ Eduard! I’d unconditionally recommend that kit, though. Everyone should build one in their lifetime!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Yeah, forgot that fakakte gear well. As Airfix demonstrates, it's entirely easy to make an acceptable one piece part. Past these really small niggles though, they really are the best Spitfire kits out there.

• Profile Photo

Beautiful work Paul !

These two are definitely coming along by leaps and bounds now. I found out that once I was at this point in construction, the rest went together quickly. They will start looking more and more like the finished plane with each little part you add from here on...

Before you know it, you will have that "warm feeling" all over again.

Looks great my friend.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This looks pretty awesome to me Paul!

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Nice work Paul.Great to see the spitfire and hurricane taking shape together - the way the hurricane structure all comes together is quite something - how are you finding your new compressor and the MRP paints?