Where was the RAF at Dunkirk?

Started by Paul Barber · 148 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Ok maybe the last Lizzie update before the reveal. Here are some oils going on to weather the wings a little more.

Some random(ish) spotting with ochre and raw umber ‘Abteilung 502’ and blending with a nearly dry flat brush (odourless turps) and then a completely dry brush.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Never considered applying dobs of paint and then smear it.
    That last photo really reveals the aircraft's wing design of a bird. I guess it's the wrist/elbow bit.
    Looking forward to seeing the 'reveal'.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Very inspirational work there Paul, This has been a unique project from the get go. The Lysander itself seems out of place among the Spits and the Hurricanes, yet like the Gladiator and Swordfish it has a place in RAF history in it's role during WWII. Normally I wouldn't be interested in building one, but this may have changed my mind. Well done.

• Profile Photo

Peter, I have seen it done to good and sometimes dramatic effect on heavily weathered planes. This time I wanted a dull effect for the Lizzie so the oils went on very sparingly and were blended to near invisibility. I’ll let them dry and see what more needs doing. The wings were a little painful to attach, but yes the length of the wings on these VTOL style planes always stands out for me.

Chuck, thanks for the kind words. Watching your Lanc and Beaufighter come together helped a lot with the Lizzie. It’s not a kit I’d recommend for the faint-hearted. But I know you’d do a cracking job!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

The oil work and blending are very subtle but strong in their own way, in this project, Paul. What I particularly like about this is the embedded-ness of the paintwork; as though the Lizzie has been around for years. A real sense of time passed and hours flown.

• Profile Photo

Thank you David, that's exactly what I am aiming for - almost an impatient weary look, planes that have flown patrols in France since 3 weeks after the declaration of war (in the case of the Lizzie) and been pushed from pillar to post in terms of wet, icy airfields as the retreat occurred seven months or so later.

I am going to switch this WIP to hibernate right now. I could walk away happy once the aerial wires are on and the gun deposits are added, but I am considering some more careful weathering. Either way these factors will all be saved for the final photo shoot and the reveal. Here is a flavour of how we stand, currently.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Simply wonderful, Paul. I really look forward to the final report and photos.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Adding to what Jeff said, Paul excellent line up somewhere on a RAF grassy airfield in the UK. The fighters loading up while the Lysander ready for it's next tasking. Well done, looking forward to the final results.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Bravo Zulu, sir. An excellent work in progress and a classic turn at the bench. A joy, and looking forward to seeing the results on the Headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

This has to be one of my all time favorites from this GB. Your models have turned out to be a monumental build...Like the other's I'll be watching for the reveal !

I think you captured the weathered look just right. Not too much and not too little. Just right...

Unless it's a F4U Corsair from the South Pacific, you can over do it with too much weathering at times.

Well done Sir 🙂 🙂 🙂

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Well done Paul - a superb trio!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Yes nicely done Paul, they are looking good !

• Profile Photo

Thank you all Gents - life away from the bench took over for a short while there - really nice to come back to such kind and motivating comments!