Where was the RAF at Dunkirk?

Started by Paul Barber · 148 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for the encouragement gents!

David, the compressor is a breath of fresh air (no pun intended). My last - a faithful badger compressor - had gradually become difficult to work with and the pressure control was very hit and miss. The new one is much more adaptable to small change. I am in love with the Mr Paint Lacquers too - they are smelly but very good out of the airbrush without thinning. I had to use a Vallejo Yellow earlier that I am not a fan of ( Vallejo paints are fantastic - it’s just the one yellow that I can’t get to play nicely). And I can feel the difference between that paint and the Mr Paint product. To be honest I like those paints because they are very specific. Some for the cockpits of particular soviet jets or WW1 late/early dopes etc. I hope to see them perform well with the RAF colours.

Anyway, here is a hotchpotch of an update!

While the Spit and Hurri were resting a little to dry and let the glue go off properly...

I picked up the Lysander again. It wasn’t as bad as I remembered when setting it down! The problem I was having to solve was with the wheels in their housings.

The wheel and tyre have to be painted before inserting - and the halves of the housings then need to be closed, filled and painted - the lights need inserting and masking off. And then the ‘fins’ gluing in place with careful upper and lower surface masking to follow before painting. It’s like a little build in itself - and the fit is not wonderful!

I have decided to paint the housings with the wheels unprotected, and then to rotate to expose a part of the wheel that won’t have been wrongly sprayed as I paint the housing. The messy wheel parts will then simply be rotated and hidden in the housing. I used some grey AK primer and the Vallejo Yellow to start.

I built up some machine guns - cutting the barrels off the kit part and replacing with brass.

And I couldn’t resist standing the Lizzie on her wheels during this session, just to see what she looked like!

I can now mask that yellow off into a horizontal stripe that runs around the wheel housing and attach the Fin and fill/sand. Then affix to the fuselage - more fill and sand. And then paint carefully - saving the wheels from too much overspray and masking off the underside of the fin!

• Profile Photo

A minor update to the WIP!

I ran out of steam on these for about a week - last week of school term is usually fairly frenzied and I hit the buffers with some Montex masks which I didn’t like as much as the Eduard canopy masks I’d been using on other builds. They took about a week to arrive and I have now masked off the canopies. I also built up a couple of photoetch/transparent film gunsights for the Spit and Hurri. One here in the Spit cockpit, the other on a cocktail stick behind the masked off canopies.

Anyway, hopefully this sparks some serious painting and I can get these in shape during the school hols!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Wow Paul !

The Spitfire cockpit is amazing... the extra details, like the seat harness, and the gun sight, will push this one over the top...

I just noticed your last posting from a week ago. Looks like the new compressor is working out to be much better for you. Great news.

It looks like "Lizzie" is shaping up nicely too. Excellent update, and thanks for sharing it with us. Hopefully the school holidays will be very productive for you.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Paquette said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This is looking great. I love subjects from history dealing with the most desperate times.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Michael. We all have our ways and reasons for modelling. Mine is to learn some history, build some planes from different times and most importantly to share journeys with likeminded friends! The more I read about the evacuation from Dunkirk and the sacrifice of those who never made it out of the Port and surrounding areas the more heroic it all gets.

Anyway - here is an update. Two rather ghostly looking Airfix Mk1s treated with some Vallejo black primer and insignia white to make the undercoat less uniform.

And some Lysander upper surfaces with a coat of Mr Paint Dark Earth. Trying not to obliterate the shading underneath!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for posting this in such detail, I’m really enjoying the thread on lots of different levels. I saw the under shading and thought it was brilliant; a cross between classic pre-shading and black basing -I’ll be trying that technique, makes a lot of sense. The build themselves are great in quality and interest, what better tributes to the RAF?
    The Spitfire gunsight looks amazing, a small detail but because it’s film it looks scale and just catches the eye.

Looking forward to seeing more updates.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Paul@yellow10 well done with this - nice to see your efforts with MRP paints !
    I find the one draw back with them is that their coverage and finish is excellent so it easy to obliterate all that careful preshading.
    I am not quite sure that 'black basing' is the complete answer with MRP - but I do like the look of your 'black and white' approach which I am going to try

• Profile Photo

I know what you mean about the MRP paints, David - they are nicely thin and go on very well. Its part of the reason I chose to get a high contrast on the undercoat and to mottle more than follow the panel lines too rigidly - to break up the 'perfect'. Those paints seem to be the ideal consistency for hanging onto pre-shading of any sort with some care in layering.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Paul@yellow10 The benefit of your contrast approach is easy to see,especially where you are spraying darker colours.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This is a very interesting process Paul, you have my interest with the result seen on the Lizzie wing. I think I will try this myself on a coming project. Thanks!

• Profile Photo

Thank you for the comments gents.

Here is an update on the Lizzie. I have sprayed the whole thing dark earth and then once that dried free-handed the dark green on top. The camo actually continued and covered the underside of these planes!

Mr Paint colours do a good job of carrying the scale effect in terms of fading with a little white preshading. This plane would have suffered a cold snowy winter at home and in France/Belgium in 1940. The Lizzies were often kept in fields - so not too much by way of protection. Just before the evacuation, as the BEF and allies fell back to the coast, these planes were busy flying from one muddy field to another. So a fairly weathered look (I will post original photos in the article that will accompany this build) is most likely.

I will need to retouch the yellow and to dull coat after the decals go on. I have a machine gun to put together and various small parts to add, but she’s starting to look more like a Lysander!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This looks beautiful, Paul. Shades of your Storch (which remains one of my all time favourite dios) in terms of style.

Rommel’s Taxi – The Tamiya Fieseler Storch 1/48th – Kasserine Pass Group Build
    Looking forward to seeing her on the headlines.
  • Profile Photo

Thanks David - that Storch fell together in comparison - this is not a complete horror story but is taking a little bit of work - with Eduard you have to read the fine print - as you will know they buy up kits/moulds from other manufacturers, chuck in some etch, maybe some resin and some high quality decals and rebox. It is a great way to get the subject you want - but some of the engineering is little dated! Anyway home stretch, and it is the school hols now so I may get this done soonish.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 7 months ago:

A word to the wise on your Lysander: fill in the holes in the lower wing for the struts to fit to. Cut off the pins on the struts. Attach the wings at the proper dihedral and then attach the struts so they just attach out on the wing where they will. If you attempt to fit the struts so their pins to the fuselage and the wing go in the "proper" holes, the result will be a couple degrees of anhedral (not a desired outcome). You have been warned. You're doing great on it otherwise, so don't let their fakakte kit design ruin it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom - I will be sure to do that - it is great to get a heads up before potential disaster! When I built the Storch it was engineered to the n'th degree and despite looking like it would never work it was a brilliant experience. The metal supports were spot on. The way the wings go onto this kit is 'loose' to say the least.