Italeri 1/72 OA-10A, 23 TASS,

Started by Tom Rodgers · 7 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Rodgers said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I just completed this build as a gift for a good friend who was the squadron commander of the 23rd Tactical Air Support Squadron (TASS) of the 602nd Tactical Air Control Wing. They were the USAF Forward Air Controllers (FACs) during DESERT STORM. Based at King Fahd International Airport and also operated out of King Khalid Military City (KKMC). "NAIL FACs"...callsign NAIL, hence the "NF" tail code. Specifics on the build can be found on my page here on iModeler...Poster by Joss Huot using my model.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks Tom, the Italeri is a very good kit if not the best kit available in 72nd scale for the A-10, Your friend loved that gift I'm sure, and probably like us wonder where the time went. Nice project.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Tom, your T-Bolt looks as if I could get in it and fly away! (If only I knew how!) Yours is a splendid example of the Modeler's Art.

I think I may have seen the real A-10 you modeled! Seriously, as we were the lead element of the 1st Infantry Division (the Big Red One ... "If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One!") we were where we were constantly being overflown by a whole lot of attack aircraft ... many of which were A-10s. The A-10 was every enemy Tanker's worst nightmare. I have a LOT of respect for the pilots of all those attack aircraft ... and all the other flyboys who made my job a bit easier and allowed me to come home relatively unharmed!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That's a super job, Tom!
    i can imagine your friend's smile!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That's a great looking Hog! When I read about all the various missions the A-10 handled in the Gulf War, for my build of the 1/72 Hasegawa kit, I had the brass plaque printed thus: RFOA-10G

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Greg, if you ever decide to build another A-10, you will like the Italeri kit. It is actually a very good kit.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Rodgers said 3 years, 8 months ago:

The main reason I picked the Italeri kit is because, as far as I could tell, it was the only 1/72 kit that did the chaff/flare dispensers correctly. You could also build a pre or post LASTE mod jet.