US Armor of Desert Storm, battle of 73 Easting

Started by Michel Verschuere · 36 · 3 years ago · M1 Abrams, M3 Bradley, T-55, T-62
  • Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks for the heads-up @lc, epic picture too! I like what I see!

• Profile Photo

@mikegolf, if you know the name of the driver, check whether you can contact him via socials. Worth a try I think and should bring back great memories... Thanks for tuning in!

• Profile Photo

Here are some progress pictures on the holiday build for the BMP-1 (made in Vienna, Austria)

The kit is Italeri 6520:
    https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2405

I found it at a LHS in the Austrian capital and started to build two days ago. Yesterday I finished for as far as I can build off site to my bench in Belgium. The kit does have issues, but not abnormal for a discontinued product of a brand less known for detailed finish. Nefertheless, the build was smooth and enjoyable.

I will add scratch features such as copper handles and a new barrel for the 73mm autoloader in the turret made from brass tube. I will add this one to the DS GB initiated and moderated by @uscusn as a side project featuring the Iraq AFV in the kit. By January 1991, Iraqi BMP's were not yet friendlies, so in this way, closed hatches make some sense at least...

It is useless to employ this kit as a model base for a shot-up version from the battle of 73 Easting because the hatches are either molded closed or their open positon would open a mysterious and featureless black hole...

Also, as typical for this manufacturer, the base styrene is weak, so aggressive cement types tend to melt joints into a pool of styrene, destroying detail. This kit is so dated that reviews are almost impossible to find, so I found out.

I have left the length and link tracks for finishing when in BE in two weeks for the wheels have not been attached. I don't expect any issues there however. Fit is ok, requiring some putty here and there but nothing an average modeler like me cold not do...

Here are some quick current-status shots. Hope you like them!

Stay safe, chaps! Happy modeling too!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks, Michel - I tried before, but perhaps it's time to try again.

• Profile Photo

Here is some progress on the Iraqi BMP-1.

The Italeri kit shows its age. The initial age of the mold must be from the eighties still. Therefore, I decided to tweek things here and there such as to improve certain shapes.

Gun and turret:
    I replaced the gun with a self-made version using styrene profile. The reason was that the front of the barrel looked out of shape compared to real-life pictures. Also, I sanded away the stowage band clips and drilled holes there where the metal wire version needs to enter the hull. I plan to add the metal wire version after the vehicle has been primed so that the openings do not clog. This leaves me with the option to add some stuff such as tarps etc.

Hull:
    Here I replaced all hand grips with wired versions, I also added power cables to the infrared searchlight. The periscopes have some issues with flash, being tiny parts so I had to take care placing them. On one occasion flash was so bad I had to make a replacement. Finally, I repaired the exhaust, part 4A fits badly and in fact seems out of shape compared to reference photographs.

I am planning to prepare the vehicle for a base layer of primer one of the next days, stay tuned!

Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

That's such a nice job. Michael @michel-verschuere! I particularly like the scratchbuilts, transforming it to a super build!

• Profile Photo

Today I continued the build on the BMP-1 with the aim to converge to the paint job. On the same desk, I prepared the parts for the Type 97 Japanese tank for @lgardner 's GB on the Empire of Japan. Will report in the relative thread on that one. Thanks to @fiveten for following this thread!

Status is that I surface treated the BMP in order to prep it for the paint job. The kit was old and to avoid (unwanted) ,paint chipping, I soaked the model in detergent water such as to remove any grease, just in case. As a final step, I applied some putty here and there for some joints on this model are in unwelcome places such as on the front. One of the characteristic features of this Russian APC is the slanted lower nose that joins the glacis plate in a sharp edge.

Because the manufacturer molded the two halves of the hull with a clearly visible joint right in the 'corner' this needs to be corrected. I plan to sand the edge sharp in the morning, after the putty has set.

Unfortunately, we are dealing with a cheap-yet-basic model of the BMP-1 here. I plan to build two others in the future (one Zvezda, one Trumpeter) that have more recent molds than this Italeri kit. To give you an idea, some important features on the top hull are missing as this picture shows. I gave up on trying to add these features and leave them as bas-reliefs foreseen in the kit. I hope you can forgive me, there will be better Verschuere BMP's in the future! Promised!

Take care, stay healthy and happy modeling!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

In superdetailing, it's good to know when to stop, and I think you made a wise stop with this kit, Michael @michel-verschuere!
    Your BMP looks great!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Excellent work Michel in bringing the old Italeri BMP up to standard. I like doing that also with older models such as the Monogram aircraft kits from the 70's which are still very good but do need some help. Despite more up to date kits more available. What I didn't know and have not experienced myself is some cements not working very will with some of the Italeri kits. I just finished up an Italeri GMC Cargo 6x6 truck with no problems, using Squadron and Tamiya liquids. But now something to watch out for. Great progress so far,

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Michel. Great work and inspiring care in your approach to the BMP-1. You have a sharp eye for detail in fixing things as you go along. The Italeri kit actually looks pretty nice and accurate in outline and major detail. I wholly agree with your approach in not going for an interior. If you are interested, I have been working on the Trumpeter BMP which is well set up for a scratchbuilt interior. Since you are interested in doing the Trumpeter kit in the future, it might be worth a look. I am just getting started on the sidewalls and seats so far and working out some techniques for modular construction.

• Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looking and learning (Though I shall need to scale down my ambitions to 1/48 if I go into armour one day) πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hi everyone!
    Today, I finally got some time to continue this build and it is nearing completion!
    My year was - as with many of you - filled with Covid-19 and life 1-1 stuff. Sadly, the last few months, I could allow myself to the bench as often as I would have liked, although I reflected in the meantime on two main issues I had with the models on the bench:

1. Iraqi BMP-1: While weathering this model, some of the paint came off. Because I mix paints myself, there was no hope in finding the right color again. So for a while, I reflected how to cover the nasty spot, just on the upper part of the vehicle, near the left fender. Because I could not find a good alternative amongst applying a drape or flag or even a tire (you see this often with Syrian BMP's):

I still decided to paint the vehicle. I plan to give it an additional weathering pass to cover minute differences in color. I think I can finish the BMP this year still (for those who wonder about the challenge: This year is over in a few days) πŸ˜€
    2. My entry to Louis' EOJ build: No progress but left is just the underside and some tools on the top. So I'm not guaranteeing it will be by New Years day but it will be soon.

I'll keep you posted, planning to post directly in the main feed when done!
    Also today, I managed to repair my Badger 100 general purpose airbrush: The Needle bearing was worn and the airbrush had suffered some serious reflux, blocking the main air valve. Based on a video tutorial, I managed to fix this one! Very proud!

You can find the tutorial and link to the Youtube video here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/badger-needle-bearing
    Michel.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Good to hear from you, Michel @Michel-Verschuere!
    Looking forward to your projects!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Michel, @michel-verschuere
    It is very good to hear from you again. I was beginning to worry about you and your family. I am sorry to hear that you have had little time for building as of late, but this is completely understandable, especially during this messed up year. I saw a sign in front of a restaurant yesterday, and I hope it was wrong. The owner was being humorous... Here's how it went:

If you think 2020 was bad, wait until it turns 21, is of legal age and starts drinking ! (or something like that). πŸ™‚

Here in our State, a person must be 21 years old in order to "legally" have an alcoholic beverage... Yet one can join the military at 17, and be sent overseas with a rifle in his / her hand. One can also vote when they turn 18... Kind of ironic isn't it ? I have seen firsthand the effects that alcohol can have on a family, and the death, destruction, and chaos it can cause when a person is intoxicated and they get behind the wheel of an automobile. I have even seen the aftermath of when an intoxicated person walked in front of moving vehicle on more than one occasion... It makes you wonder if they did it on purpose, or did they simply not realize the car was there ? Or did they stumble and fall ? Sorry to go down this deep rabbit hole...

The lack of building time seems to be a feast or famine thing with me. Either I am on a roll and get to build non stop, or I have too many other life 1-1 things going on that get in the way. Things will get better.

As far as your EOJ build, you can take your time with it, no need to rush. I will extend it as necessary to allow ample time. Try to keep it fun... πŸ™‚

Your BMP paint problem is something you might be able to hide effectively with weathering and dust deposits. I have seen military vehicles in the desert get so covered in dust, the original base colors were virtually indistinguishable. Dust hides all, it gets everywhere, including in your eyes and food. Great job with scratch building the grab handles and barrel.
    I'll bet you are very pleased to be able to fix your air brush on your own. That's a good feeling of satisfaction. Well done !

Happy New Year to you and your family.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 3 years, 4 months ago:

So good to see you Michel, we have missed you, one of those silent prayers answered. Building is a way to get away from the news going on around us. My workbench is my sanctuary. The BMP looks good so far. Making a decent kit even better despite the moulding limitations. Fortunately having a pair of simple and easy to maintain H model Paasche airbrushes, always keeping them in good shape, an O-ring fails or just simply switch out new nozzles. Otherwise both are over 25 years old and still working well. Another week left for 2020, wish you and the family a safe and healthy New Year.