1/48 Accurate Miniatures SBD-3 Dauntless, USS Enterprise VB-6, flown by Lt. Cmdr. Richard Best

Started by Louis Gardner · 82 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Accurate Miniatures, Dauntless, Douglas, Midway Group Build, SBD
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Louies fantastic job on the gunners position . That office looks busy . Keep the awesome work going 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Frederick J Seitz III said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Your making excellent progress, Louis! Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen.

I made a little more progress with the Dauntless today. The upper wing halves are glued in place. I also glued the stabilizer/ elevators together. I'll install them once I get the seams taken care of. There are no gaps to worry about just a little attention is needed to spruce them up.

• Profile Photo

I had a slight mishap with the Port side stabilizer. I accidentally spilled a little glue on my work bench and it somehow got on the underside of it. Luckily the damage was not too bad.

I had to wait for the glue to dry completely then I started carefully scraping off the damaged area with a single edge razor blade. Once this was done I spent some time with the depression spots such as the hinges.

Then once I was satisfied I sprayed on a light coat of gray sand able primer paint to see how it looks.

It looks great now considering what happened to this part.

Once the paint dried I fit the stabilizers in place and glued them in position.

This is how the SBD looks now. One step closer.

This picture shows the SBD from the underside. You can see the difference between the shade of the plastic and the gray primer. The primer painted stabilizer is visible on the right side.

I'm going to let my Dauntless dry overnight now. Tomorrow's another day.

Thanks for looking. Comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Louis, I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier, and it maybe to late or to much work to fix, but there should not be a shoulder harness on the pilots seat. For reasons known only to BuAer, USN aircraft only had lap belts installed until after the Battle of Midway. If you check Tom Cleaver's 1/32 Trumpter SBD and other Midway or earlier builds you'll find that he confirms this

• Profile Photo

Thanks Rick for the information. I didn't know about the lack of shoulder harnesses, so you taught ne something new, which I sincerely appreciate. I will try to remove the upper half if I can somehow manage to gain access to the area.
    Thanks again my friend.

• Profile Photo

I was able to cut away the top section of the shoulder straps with a sharp X-acto blade. Here's how it looks now.

And the offending piece.

Thanks again Rick !

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Great job Louis, glad it turned out. I would have sent you another seat if that one had gotten messed up.

• Profile Photo

You're a good man Rick ! I appreciate the offer.

I had the air brush out painting parts for the Devastator. I had the color flat black in the hopper, and the SBD needed some parts painted this color, (as did the newly started PBY-5A)

So I sprayed the propeller.

The upper deck ahead of the cockpit:

The engine cylinders and twin .050 machine guns:

and finally, this part. I know the picture doesn't show much details since the part is a dark color and didn't photograph well, but this is the spinner I was missing from my kit.

My friend Rick Wilkes graciously sent it to me. Thanks again buddy !

Does it look familiar Rick ?

That's all for tonight. It's not much progress, but any progress is better than nothing at all. As long as it's good...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Martin Dytrych was kind enough to send me a link of his SBD build a few weeks ago. His build is superb. In the photos he sent along with the link, there were a few small details that were not completed on my SBD. So while some parts and paint were drying on the TBD Devastator, I decided that I would spend a little time working on the Dauntless.

Here's the engine crankcase and cylinders. They are pretty close to being ready for installation now.

Here's the area that needed some extra attention with detail painting. The small black boxes and wires that are present in between the pilot and gunner were painted.

Martin also was kind enough to send me some more great information about my other build here on the TBF-1 early Avenger. I will be putting this to use once I get going again on the TBF.

Thanks again Martin.

• Profile Photo

Well it's starting to look more like a SBD ...

Tonight I managed to detail paint the engine. While I was painting the SBD Dauntless engine, I painted the one for the Avenger too...

Here's how the SBD engine looks after assembly.

The next step was to glue the .050 caliber weapons into the upper cowling deck. Here's how it looks from underneath... I painted the charging handles aluminum.

The forward fuselage was completed and glued in place: Don't forget to install the oil cooler before you glue the front part of the fuselage on. I almost did...

and the cowling pieces were glued together too. If you're building one, pay close attention here... It's kind of tricky to glue together.

Then I installed the engine...

and the upper cowling deck / machine guns...

The final part to be glued on was the cowling.

Here's how the engine looks once the cowling was in place. I like the details.

Finally here's how the SBD look tonight after everything was finished.

Step #7 is now completed... maybe tomorrow I can get started on the landing gear.

Comments are encouraged. I'm calling it a night.

Take care.

PS: I noticed that I had not installed the arrestor hook from a previous step. So tonight I placed it in the slot where it goes. The fit was so nice and snug that no glue was required. It simply snapped in position. Maybe tomorrow I'll snap a picture of that too.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

All coming together nicely. The engine looks great, as does the interior, and nice save on the stab.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 7 years, 1 month ago:

You can get all the information you need about markings and finish from my 1/32 kit. dick told me the airplanes were factory-new and "the cleanest airplanes I ever saw in the Navy."

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom. I have been looking at your plane on the other web site. It's answering a lot of questions I had.

Earlier tonight I was spraying all of the wheels for the planes that I was building for the Midway GB.

Prior to spraying them I spent some time cleaning up the seams and restoring some of the lost tread patterns that were caused by sanding. Then I gave all of the wheels a coat of tire black color...

Here's how the SBD wheels look right now.

I may end up sanding the tread surface a little more, but with a much finer grit sand paper, since the paint work has revealed a flat surface right down the center of the tire... Thank goodness that the tires on this SBD were smooth with no tread. This is something I can fix pretty easily.

(I hope).

I'm calling it a night... enjoy.

• Profile Photo

This morning I was able to get some more parts sprayed.

Before I sprayed the wheel again, I gave them a once over with some fine sand paper.

then I re sprayed the tire black color... I think they look much nicer since the sanding removed the visible sanding seam.

I attempted to mark off the thin line on the spinner, but failed horribly... So I sprayed it flat black again...

Here's how your old spinner looks again, Rick...

This was followed by spraying various parts Light Gray...

Main landing gear doors:

Inside of the center flap and landing gear struts

The undersides of the flaps

The bomb crutch and the wheel hubs / wheel caps

and finally the under side of the plane itself...

Getting closer...