1/48 AMT P-40E Aleutian Tigers

Started by Tom Bebout · 22 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Bought this kit in a bag at a show last year for $5. Wondered what I was going to do with it but with Midway GB including the Aleutian campaign it's a perfect fit. One can never have enough P-40's in their collection you know. Have build several of these so it should go rather fast, only thing I'll add is an Ultracast seat, everything else will be OOB. Then it will be on to the Tamiya Wildcat.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Cool looking forward to see your Aleutian Tiger progress. I like the AMT P-40's. Enjoy the build.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks for joining our ever growing group Tom ! Welcome aboard.

I agree, you can never have too many P-40's... Looks like you picked up a nice kit at a good price. That makes things even better. We will be looking forward to watching this one come along, (and the Wildcat next too...even better.).

• Profile Photo
    Brian Scott said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Tom great subject and great markings. This will be awesome to watch !

Brian

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Hey Tom. I found a few neat pictures of Aleutian P-40s in my book "Air Force Colors" by Dana Bell.

and the caption from the picture

Here's another great picture of a P-40 in Alaska

and the caption from the photo.

It's part of a three volume series.

Hope this helps

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks Louis always can use more info about the Aleutian Tigers

• Profile Photo

Got a little more work done on the P-40E, Got the cockpit done now it's on to the fuselage and that will require me to drill out the exhaust stacks. One of my favorite things to do.I did add some Mike Grant decals to jazz things up in the office as well as an Ultracast seat.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Finished drilling out the exhaust stacks, did the 50 cals while I was at it. Added the wings slapped on some paint as well and now it's on to decals. The Tiger head is going to take a lot of Micro set to really lay down. Hope it works.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Tom, looking well, Go slow on the Tiger Head, you might have to slit the decals here and there to get it to lay down. Nice work on the exhausts, a nice finishing touch, and not easy.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Wow Tom ! It is really starting to shape up fast ! The Aleutian Tiger head is one of the coolest looking P-40's. Looks great !

• Profile Photo

More decals for this evening, questioning whether the yellow paint I have is a close match to the Tiger yellow decal. Looks like a trip to the old hobby store and a search for some yellow paint.Trying to finish this little guy by the weekend then on to the F4F Wildcat. Which brings another problem, I'm trying to find white numbers for the Wildcat.The one I want to do had the number 11 on it. The kit doesn't have them and my stash doesn't provide any either. Any leads where one can purchase Navy white number decals?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Wow the P-40 is really looking GOOD !

As far as the decals go, Yellow Wings has a decal sheet available that has the numbers and letters you need available in white. They also make the same set in black if for some reason later on you may decide to build something requiring black letters.

The part number for this decal sheet with white letters is 48-024, if you're building a 1/48 scale F4F.

It's labelled as:

48-024
    USN 1932-1942
    Standard 12"
    Numbers & Squadron
    Designators WHITE

The same thing goes for the black letter and numbers set, but the part number is 48-023.

I'm sure they also offer this in other scales if you are building a kit in 1/32 or even 1/72. Hope this helps...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

If that doesn't work, try the model railroad shops, The microscale side of superscale-they split years ago- has decal railroad numbers of various types and fonts. Walters has several catalogues, "O" gauge is 48th, or close. Craft stores used to have those pressure applied numbers and letters, though I haven't looked for them lately. Superscale had sheets of alphabets and numbers once upon a time, in the primary colors, black, red, yellow and red- and may still.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys, good info.

• Profile Photo

Just about ready to put this puppy to bed. Have to do the Nav lights add the pitot tube then rig the antenna add the prop and we're done. Tried something new to hold the canopy in the open position by using a new product called SpeedTape. You fine it at http://www.fastcap.com. Picked it up at the recent Indianapolis show. It's a double sided clear tape that comes in various widths, I purchased the smallest which is 1/16th inch. It can be used to hold canopies or windshields in place without using glue. So far it seems to work.