1/48 AMT P-40E Aleutian Tigers

Started by Tom Bebout · 22 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Chalk this one up as one and done. Several uh oh's are in there all self inflicted. The old girl had a couple of fit issues but was able to work around them. The wheels are from a Hasegawa P-40, the antenna is nylon thread and the exhaust and gun powder stains are pastel chalks. Not totally pleased with the yellow spinner and wheel hub match but it's the best I could find to match the tiger decal. Did I mention yellow is a tough color to work with? It's now time to move on to the F4F-4.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

So far as P-40 kits are concerned, what are your favorites? In 1/48th, E or later? I figure Hasegawa by a head, followed by AMT, Mauve (gone) and then the Otaki/Arii and the Revell/Monogram update. I see that most are now on the second hand market, at that.
    I started out with the Aurora, so I see nothing but improvement, regardless.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Wow Tom !

Your P-40 looks great ! I can only imagine how nice your F4F will turn out...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Bernard this is my 10th P-40 I've built that I've kept for display...Two Monogram/Revell, one Academy C model and the rest are AMT's. Mostly E models but I did do one F, one K, and one N. I believe all are posted on this site. Early on two Monogram P-40B's were used as test beds for my newly required old hobby. They were given to my grandson and were promptly destroyed in aerial combat.

Haven't done a Hasegawa yet but have an E and a N model in the stash. The detail in those kits look really good. Haven't done nor do I have the new Airfix kit so can't comment on it's construction. I really enjoyed taking the old Monogram P-40B and adding the Medallion Models upgrade, from Mark's Models and Toys,, plus some wheels and a seat and it really produced a nice looking model. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

On that other site today, link to aleutians models. aleutianplanes.com. Take a look.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Lovely build, the markings are really striking.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years ago:

Excellent! I've got this same scheme in 1/72 Academy kit - I'm gonna have to pull it out soon...!