1:48 Hasegawa Nakajima B5N2 Type 97 "Kate" from the IJN Hiryu

Started by Bernd Müller · 17 · 7 years ago · 1/48, Hasegawa 09435, IJN Hirju, Lt Tomonaga, Nakajima B5N2 Type 97
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Bernd, the Hasegawa Kate is one of the Mania kits they acquired, like the Sonia and the Babs/Karigane.
    I hear good things about the new Airfix Kate. You can fold the wings, as an option.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 1 month ago:

Louis, Hasegawas early Kate is the one with a different engine (Mamaru?) . The one I have is a bomber, with 2 (I'm guessing) 500 Lb bombs on separate racks. My take on the color scheme is that it was in the IJN peacetime overall aluminum with the red tail, and they did a hasty in field camouflage job on the uppers in brown and green in China. There was a "Rising" decal sheet on IJN planes, one of which was something similar, but it is out of production. Snoozed, again!

Also, the Nichimo Kate in 48th, if you can find it, has not only a torpedo, but the big bomb used at Pearl Harbor, and some different other bomb loads, like the rack with 4 smaller bombs. Gives you some other choices. The only shortcoming of the Nichimo is that the canopy is squashed, in profile. Squadron has a vacuformed one.