Torpedo Bomber Monogram – 1/48 TBD-1 Devastator

Started by David Mills · 66 · 3 years ago · devastator, Midway
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Very nice final run David. I know the feeling when there is just the last few details missing on a long-term build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hi David @davem! So good to see you!
    Your TBD looks wonderful and almost finished!

• Profile Photo
    David Hansen said 3 years, 5 months ago:

I'm really late tuning into this one but i like what i see!

A question i wanted to throw out to the TV studio audience is, If you cut off the locator pins and sand down the mating surfaces of the wings on a piece of wet 320 grit, does it help with the fit of the leading edge around those pesky corrougations?

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

David, @davem
    It is wonderful to see that you are going to complete this build. I was thinking to myself a few weeks ago about this very subject . You must have been reading my mind. I really like what you have done here. Once you get it completed, please post it up in the headlines section, and I'll be sure to add it to our final recap showing all of the fantastic builds we had as part of our Battle of Midway group build... Stay safe my friend.

David H, @david-hansen
    When I built mine, I remember going along the leading edge with a very small machinists file to go in between the ridges. Mine was one of the original Monogram releases, (dated 1974 I think), so the molds were still in pretty good shape. I don't remember this as being too big of a problem. I had more problems with the bomb doors, and this was caused by my building as I had one of the cockpit bulkheads not lined up properly. This caused me some grief later on in the build.

Here's a link to my build log.

https://imodeler.com/groups/75th-anniversary-battle-of-midway-group-build/forum/topic/148-monogram-tbd-1-devastator/

I get to the wing leading edges on the second page of the journal.

Hope this helps you.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Hi David @david-hansen - thanks for the kind words - do have a look at Louis @lgardner build.

what I found was I could not get the leading edges to match up well by retaining the locator pins - I cut mine off and fitted to the leading edge to match and preserve the corrugations - you will see this on page 2, I think, of my build. It threw up one or two other issues as a result which had to be rectified, but overall I am happy with the result and thought it was worth the effort

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 5 months ago:

That turned out great , David! I’ve built 5 of those over the last 45 years and never get tired of seeing them. Well done!