DB 605 Engine (Bf 109G) HPH models 1/18 scale (updated 24/12/2021) .

Started by Michael Ezat · 22 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hello to all !
    What a nice idea to build some of the hidden heroes that hiddes under the cowlings of our models majority .
    Sometimes we try to expose as much of them as we can , and sometimes we close them into darkness for ever .
    So , here is my effort about one of my favorites , the powerplant for the Bf 109G series , and in particular the engine (and spinner) of the Bf 109G-5/AS with W. Nr.110064 which was flying by Oberstleutnant Günther Specht , one of the best fighter leaders during the war , credited with 34 enemy aircraft destroyed including 15 four-engine bombers .
    On the photos you can take a general idea about this really nice kit , and the color scheme of the spinner (black green , 1/3 white with two different in thickness yellow stripes around and vice versa spinner plate , I will explain at a later time what I mean ) .
    This build is also starting after my return from two months of vacations and is the one to gives me a good start to continue my other projects .

More datails for the kit here : http://shop.hphmodels.cz/en/model-kits-in-scale-118/66-motor-bf-109g-6-db-605-v-meritku-118.html

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

What a great entry, my friend @faraomike!

This kit looks stunning, oozing of quality! WiIl not be a "shake and bake" kit, but your skills guarantee a truly wonderful result!

Please feel free to add any technical info, pics or whatever else regarding the DB605.

And, yes! Such modeling "diversions". like building an engine, might be nice mojo restorers (works for me, as well)!

Looking forward to this beauty of a kit to come along!

• Profile Photo

Spiros , those are for you . If you need something specific, tell me or send a message.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

These are amazing, my friend @faraomike!
    Thanks for sharing this great info!

• Profile Photo

The weekend is here , time for our hobby , so , back to bench !

One thing I reallize when I check better the parts of this kit , is although HPH have done a very good kit , the individual details suffered from "purity": the bolts, for example, are there (although not all) but their heads look like they are one with the rest of the piece, while they are also quite rounded instead of hexagons.

So the decision to upgrade by scratch-building what looked bad or wrong (and on this scale seems like a lot) was a one-way trip.

Using the UMM Hexagonal punch & die set (https://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?products_id=1870&osCsid=7893b4ba64b837ca265ff2337cea23c5) I cut and replace all (or almost all) the malformed bolts or I added where they were missing .

In some cases I use some micro bolts I have in stock from Knupfer (https://knupfer.info/shop/) .

Also I toned as much rivets as I can with drills .

The result is at least satisfactory and indeed makes quite a difference from the original , I hope you can see it in the photos .

In the meantime, I found some time to prepare - prime - sanding - painting and give some weathering , in a few words to finish the propeller with their spinner .

Following my reference photos plus everything I found on the internet about this airplane I concluded that the spinner whas painted with the standard black green (2/3) & white (1/3) having as an additional badge two yellow stripes, possibly as a reference to the pilot degree (Oberstleutnant) .

Looking better, it looks like the stripes have different widths , and the guns adjustment plate (essentially the base of the spinner , just in front of the coolant container or simple , the back plate) is painted white where the spinner is green and green where the spinner is white .

Nothing so difficult to achieve with some masking tape and with colors from Gunze range .

So far , so good , next stage is primer & painting the other parts , at the same time as upgrading and/or scratching some more parts .

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Really good work Michael, the spinner looks very worn indeed

• Profile Photo

I am really amazed by your skills and your attention to details, my friend @faraomike!
    Looking fantastic so far!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

What a monster - looking good Michael. Going to be awesome.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Indeed Erik , its size is equivalent to a Bf 109 in 1/72 !

• Profile Photo

Continuing with the hypertrophic DB605 , after several bolts, rivets etc and some fine details , it's time for the first coat of primer , and then , some painting .

I used at least three different RLM02 shades (Gunze , AK , Valejo) to break the monotony and show different levels of aging on different surfaces, depending on the use for which each (firewall , gun bay , gun support etc) .

Some parts are already finished , having accepted the last "coat" of weathering-dirt , like firewall , gunbay , engine support struts , turbo etc , and some just a light hand of post shading , like engine block .

And because one brings the other, I started scratch building some extra details and superdetailing some parts so I end up here for today .

Hope you like the result , thank you for watching !

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Absolutely gorgeous work, my friend @faraomike!
    I could swear the two gloss black valve covers are 1:1...

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

These sub-assemblies look great!

• Profile Photo

Precisely because of the large scale , all those sub-assemblies they need a lot of attention in the preparation because in the final result everything will be seen. Hence the delay of the presentation, but this weekend I will have a good update ...

• Profile Photo

Hello fellows !

After a period with almost no time for our hobby, I managed to move on the next stage , even not 100% , however even this is a progress .

The engine came from what you see in photo 1 to that of photo 2 and 3 and as you may see , I have already start to add some scratch plumping , spark plug wires and pipes , cables etc , having many more to add .

I have to repeat this for the other side too .

Many pipes and cables must add here taking care not to have fitting issues .

Also , I have start working on guns support and firewall as well as the guns .

Alot of cables and pipes are waiting to go on too , this will be the next update .

Thank you for looking and for any coments !

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

You are doing an exceptional job there, my friend @faraomike!
    The items built from scratch are simply wonderful!