Trumpeter 1/32 Allison V-1710

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 30 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Aeroengines, Allison, Trumpeter, V-1710
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hi everyone!

Building the Trumpeter 1/32 P-40B with engine covers installed, has left me pretty much with a detailed model of its Allison V-1710 engine. An unremorseful "never toss anything" modeler, I decided to give this small model a go.

The Allison V-1710 was designed and produced by the Allison Engine Company and was the only US-developed V-12 liquid-cooled engine to see service during World War II. Versions with a turbocharger gave excellent performance at high altitude in the P-38 Lightning, and turbo-superchargers were fitted to experimental single-engined fighters with similar results.

Here are the Trumpeter instructions:

Here is the basic engine assembled and primarily painted:
    The rest of "hoses and the like"...
    And here is the progress so far, with all hoses accordingly painted...
    No exhausts wiil be attached, but the displayed engine at top pic does not have them attached either.
    Putting the engine together is next.
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Moving on...

Tubing is gradually added, also some "bits and pieces".
    Here she is:
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Spiros,
    This was a very good idea not to throw away the engine... and an even better idea to start this little group !

As usual, your work is impressive. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thank you so much, my friend @lgardner!
    Glad you like this group idea!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Absolutely real looking!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Wow, great work Spiros! @fiveten. When I was maybe 11 or 12, I bought a 1/25 version of the Allison V-12. It was an early aftermarket product and I wanted to use it in a 1/25 model car. I know that parts of it are still around here somewhere. I am watching this with great interest! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @mikegolf

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @garybrantley!
    It would be great to find your Allison kit!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@fiveten, You're welcome Spiros! I think I know where it might be. Perhaps in a box of ancient model car parts and bodies; it is by no means complete but the major parts may be there. Everything was chrome plated. I can't remember the name of the company now. I'm going to research it a bit. 🙂

Well, that sure didn't take too long. Here it is:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/amt-allison-12-engine-3007-custom-1866403989

And I can now recall that it did look just like that package when I got back then, circa mid-1960s.

Here's one that sold on Ebay, check out that original price! 🙂

https://picclick.com/Old-AMT-Allison-V-12-Engine-3007-Custom-Competition-382000193258.html

• Profile Photo

Wow! my friend @garybrantley!
    It will look superb in chrome!

• Profile Photo

I have attached various tubing and also the mounting frames, as, I believe, they will add business and interest (let alone the fact that the engine block had openings in order to receive the frames, maning a lot of work to fill them upon deciding not to mount the frames...).
    Anyway, here she is in-progress (various touchups are needed):

I am thinking of adding spark plug wires: the will very well cover the ungainly exhaust mounting cutouts!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 8 months ago:

So far , so good Spyros . Perfect looking engine .
    Waiting to see it finished !

• Profile Photo

Thanks so much, my friend @faraomike!
    Indeed, building this engine is a nice mini break!

• Profile Photo

Spark plug wires were added from silver stretched sprue, in need of some triming and retouching...

With the engine almost complete, I am now onto finding a suitable base...
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Michael Ezat said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Spyros @fiveten , nice touch the spark plugs wires , it gives more authenticity to your engine . As I realize you are going to show them as a new or rebuilded engine ? No worn effects , not any small oil stain or some rust on the exhausts ?

I want to tell you how having the engine standing on yogurt cup , looks like a spaceship ready for take off 🙂 I am just kidding .

In any case , looks good and I am looking forward to see it finished .