Yak-15 and -17 dual builds.

Started by Bob Torres · 84 · 15 hours ago · 1/72, Yak-15, Yak-17
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 month, 1 week ago:

You’re getting to be an expert with vacuform kits , Bob ! For some of those rare aircraft , vacuform seems to be the only way to make a model of them unless you scratch build them starting with nothing.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 1 month ago:

Jay @ssgt, thanks for the complement but at the moment this kit is making me feel like I do not know what I am doing LOL! I am almost done with the cockpit. This took a bit more work than planned because the fuselage is too narrow and I need to widen it. I still need to work on the engine inlet and exhaust area before gluing both sides of the fuselage.

Once the fuselage is glued together I think the rest of the build will go faster. At that point I will start on the Yak-15.

• Profile Photo

Some shots of my latest progress on my Yak-17. I scratch built the sidewalls, deck, seat, and rear cover for the cockpit. I also scratch build the engine inlet. I painted the cockpit area flat black and in the later photos, I dry-brushed lighter colors.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

And in these shots, this is where I am at. Before closing up the cockpit area, the engines inlets and exhaust will need to be added. The front and rear areas will need to be opened for this to work.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Very nice result on the scratchbuild interior, Bob @v1pro
    Defintiely a big improvement.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 month ago:

Nice work Bob, @v1pro . Seems like tedious work on such a small scale aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, John @johnb and Jay @ssgt. Yes this does feel like tedious work the way I am doing this. But if this model was engineered better I'll probably be further ahead on this build. I think the Ya-15 will be a faster, no fuss build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent job, my friend @v1pro! Great looking interior!

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Spiros @fiveten!

• Profile Photo

Cockpit and fuselage progress. Glued the cockpit parts into the left fuselage side, I also added a glareshield and shallow nose wheel well which will also hold the weights to prevent this from sitting on its tail.

The engine inlets and exhaust areas were also opened up. The engine inlet was also glued into place.

Yes there are some pretty big gaps especially on the top of the fuselage. I wanted to widen this area, it looked too narrow if I glued it together in its original mold. Plus, the canopy, cockpit floor and instrument panel that came with this kit were too wide. I am happy on the width it has now.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I loaded up with the ball bearing to make sure this sits correctly with the gears in the down position.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

In the next two shots, I have to open up the inlet and exhaust panels.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The fuselage's halves are finally glued together, I added the meaning exhaust cone before adding the inlet and exhaust panels. Some cut pieces of styrene sheet were added to shim the fuselage to maintain the witdh I was going after.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

After the fuselage glue dried, I added some stretch sprue to cut pieces of styrene sheets to fill in the big gaps.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

That's some great progress, Bob @v1pro
    The width of the fuselage looks really good this way. The added weight should be more than sufficient to keep the nose down.