Hobbycraft 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury

Started by Bob Torres · 56 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years ago:

Measured, marked and drilled the holes for the installing the drop tanks. Used CA glue to glue the tanks onto the wings.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I decided to use a piece of stretch sprue to make the pitot tube.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A new coat of Sky-Type S. It was pretty thin to show off the darken lines I made with the black marker.

On the fourth shot is a closer look on some areas I applied a bit more than what I want to see but it will work out. Later I will highlight some lines with a light wash and/or pencil.

Final shot are the gear doors.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The replacement spinner/propeller looks a lot nicer than the one from the kit.

• Profile Photo

Using a silver pencil to colour in the wheel hubs.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I used a fine black pencil on the flap and aileron hinge areas to augment the pre-shade

• Profile Photo

Removed mask from the canopy and had to clean off some overspray by using a wooden cocktails stick, I dipped it into alcohol so it would not mar the canopy.

The main undercarriage doors painted and glossed. Propeller and main wheels also glossed over.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Fantastic progress, my friend @v1pro!
    Great, efficient weathering/highlighting techniques!
    The new prop looks way better than the kit-supplied anemic one.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Very nice progress, Bob @v1pro
    Indeed, a much better looking propellor.
    The wheels do look great as well.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb. I am pretty happy with the propellers. The wheels came out nice too. Now I am struggling with very old decals...

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years ago:

@v1Pro - that Cooper Details prop really makes it, Bob. I used one on mine. You are doing a great job of dressing up this Hobbycraft kit. Your tip using a silver pencil for the wheels is a good one and I will try it. I just picked up a new Xtradecals Sea Fury sheet from Hannants. You might want to check into some new ones rather than fight old decals.

Regardless of the criticism Hobbycraft always gets for their kits, I have a real soft spot for them. They are rather enduring, aren't they? Looking really good here.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric @eb801, the pre-shading is coming along nicely…a little more work will have to get done on the panel lines that got over-sprayed. The silver pencil works best on flat paint, I have also used it after the gloss coat was applied and dry to add some hint of paint eroding or slight chipping. In regards to the decals last night I applied a coat of Microscale’s decal maker. If they don’t work then I will have to order a fresh new set.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Eric @eb801, the pre-shading is coming along nicely…a little more work will have to get done on the panel lines that got over-sprayed. The silver pencil works best on flat paint, I have also used it after the gloss coat was applied and dry to add some hint of paint eroding or slight chipping. In regards to the decals last night I applied a coat of Microscale’s decal maker. If they don’t work then I will have to order a fresh new set.

• Profile Photo

Applying the first coat of Tamiya XF-54 Dark Sea Gray. First this was applied by hand brushing it on, then the final was done with an airbrush.

Masked the areas so I can airbrush the final coat and for the areas that needs the straight clean separation from the Sky Type S paint. Here I also used a pencil to pre-shade the panel lines and flight control hinged areas.

Masking is my least favorite part of this hobby.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Mask removed after the coats were airbrushed. On the next day the gloss coats was applied. After the Future gloss coat cured, the decals were applied on.

I had issues with the War Eagle decal set, after sitting in the water and removed to apply in the model they fell apart. I later applied a coat of the Microscale Decal Maker. It did help the decal stay together but remained too wrinkled. So I went back to the Almark decals that I bought for this kit back in 1989. It's working, a little bit thicker than the War Eagle but more stable. There are a lot of silvering so after the decals are good and dry, I will have to paint some of the silvered areas.