The Ugliest 1940’s Aircraft Competition

Started by Editor · 41 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Is there a sideview of that polish monstrosity? PZL Belphegor? Egad!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 2 months ago:

This is GREAT! There certainly ARE some uglies. My vote goes to the Whitley, but it is very close. Too bad about that PZL 'monstrosity' as Bernie puts it - it certainly LOOKS like it came out of the 30s / 40s time frame; except for the powerplant of course.

• Profile Photo

I'm gonna try something: here, Bernie ... as mentioned, it is "modern" so it doesn't really count in this competition.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Ugly you say? Here's a couple that come to mind.

the ME 323 powered glider, looks more like a bug than an aircraft. And who can forget the Westland P-12, simply gorgeous I say.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Migod! That Polish thing is ugly from all angles! Crop dusting? Are you sure the idea wasn't to terrify the pests? It looks like Ming the Merciless' Sunday runabout. And it's a JET? I do hope the designer gets out of the Happy Home in due course. I thought the Wilga was utiitarian. Or the Bennett Aviatruk.

• Profile Photo
    Julian Shawyer said 6 years, 2 months ago:

How about the Fairey Barracuda.
    It was a British carrier-borne torpedo and dive bomber.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some of these aircraft are downright FUGLY !

That Barracuda is rather handsome ... compared to that monstrosity right above it !

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Back in the Thirties, there was an RN two seater biplane named the Blackburn Blackburn. Seriously! And it was "utilitarian". I'm working on my euphanism skills. the Westland Walrus was another beauty.

• Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 6 years, 2 months ago:

This is the first time I've ever seen that... THING that used to be a Wellington. So I had to find more pictures of it and folks, it doesn't get any better.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Bernard. Just to prove she'd struggle to win any beauty contest, here she is.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you practising the euphemism; I used to play that at school. But the teachers told me I'd go blind if I didn't stop.

(Sorry, I blame hanging around with Jeff, he's a bad influence)

• Profile Photo
    said 6 years, 2 months ago:

Hows about the miles M39b.