1/35 Tamiya Panzer III

Started by Louis Gardner · 59 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 5 months ago:

The Ironworks are rolling along! Nice work, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for the compliments David.

92 individual track blocks later and the left side tracks are completed.

I used larger wooden dowels to put a little sag in the tracks as the glue dries.

Here's how it looks after the dowels were removed.

The Panzer III is getting closer to the finish line ... One set of tracks done, one set to go.

Calling it a night.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 5 months ago:

What a beauty Louis...

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Fantastic work Louis! Those tracks look realy great. The Panzer III is coming to life.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks guys for the compliments... I still have to paint the OVM tools and get them mounted. Plus the other side of the tracks needs to be assembled. Once that's done, I'll give it a coat of desert dust, and it should be wrapped up.

The early Sherman is at the same point with progress, but the tracks are all done on it, so it's a little closer to being completed than the Panzer III.

Thanks again.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Well it has been a LONG time since I have done any work on this one. In fact I'm a little embarrassed because of it...

However, I managed to make a little more progress ... and have some pictures to prove it 🙂

I painted some OVM tools using gun metal gray... and cut out the spare road wheel set. The tools still need some more detail painting before they get installed.

The tow cables were painted and installed... as was the "tankers bar" and tow cable "S" hooks.

ON the other side of the hull, the cable cutters were painted and installed, as was the engine hand crank... No I don't think I would like to manually turn over the engine using this hand crank. But the Germans did this quite frequently using two crew members and a lot of effort...

I know it's not much, but forward progress is progress, and I'll take it...

As usual, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks for being so faithful, Louis!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 6 years, 1 month ago:

I love your take on 'slow progress' Louis - you've done great work! I have masked a couple of windows and I'm downing tools! The finish on those tow cables looks fantastic!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Great thread Louis! Thanks for your detailed build report!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Well, you learn something new every day! Or, in the words of the late, great Robert A. Heinlein (speaking as Woodrow Wilson Smith, a.k.a. Lazarus Long;) "You live and learn or you don't live long."

I did not know some of the old Panzers could be crank started!

Great Mk.III, Louis! Good looking model AND a great narrative.

• Profile Photo

Your take on the tracks spurred me to check out my new FruilModel tracks for my KassPass Crusader Mk.III. Quite an interesting ... and laborious undertaking. I just ordered some blackening fluid, so I'll actually make some headway as soon as my Mailman gets my package from Mega Models delivered. I've researched the FruMod tracks online at several places including You Tub. (e) They are wonderfully accurate and promise to look good if I do my part. Because of their cost, I doubt I'll use many FruMod tracks in the future but they seem great, if somewhat "fiddely." Also, they visually pointed out to me that the rubber band tracks that came on my Tamiya Crusader are in fact VERY authentic looking and shaped well. However, one side rubber band track broke and I can't seem to repair it so this was the perfect excuse for trying the FruilModel version.

Louis, how did you chunk rubber from your road wheels? The last (and only) time I did that was with an X-Acto knife. It did fine, but I'm facing a different challenge with my Crusader. I've decided to go lightly on the damage and weathering for my tank. There is some normal "tank (or tanker) damaged parts" that plague all tankers but I'm keeping things somewhat simple; - "K.I.S.S." and all that. (Don't know what K.I.S.S. stands for? "Keep It Simple, Stupid!)

Later ...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words. I'm going to try and continue with work on this one until I get it finished. Hopefully I can follow through with this plan.

Jeff I simply used an exacto blade to chip the road wheels. It's a whole lot easier to do when the wheels have not yet been installed. Just watch your fingers ! You could probably even do this when the wheels are still attached to the plastic trees.

I found a few pictures of how they hand cranked engines on German tanks. Here's how two persons can turn the engine over in a King Tiger.

Here you can see the hand crank installed on this King Tiger. It's the same tank as in the photo above.

I believe this is a backup method for starting the tank and not the primary way they were started.

I'm also pretty sure that all of the German tanks had this capability. If you look closely at the rear slope, you will see a small armored plate that is held in place with a bolt on each end. They would loosen the bolts and raise (or lower) this plate to gain access for the hand crank.

Later today I will try to post up a picture of the plate I'm talking about.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Louis. I love learning about these little tidbits of information. Makes it all come to life, so to speak. I can only imagine trying to crank-start a tank when it's pouring down rain or snowing a blizzard ... or with bullets flying! But it would be better than just sitting there; dead and not running with no power to move ! I think our M1s (or Leopards, AMXs, Challengers, T-90s etc.) need something like that. Right?

Do I have any volunteers to run out there and hand-crank their vehicles? Just ignore all those bullets whizzing by or any H.E. rounds dropping close to where you need to work!

Well ...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Jeff, I'm not an armor modeler, but one of the solutions I recall reading somelace is to staple the rubber band tracks together, and hide the join somehow. I suspect that's after trying to glue them together. That's interesting about hand cranking your tank, I had no idea. Not much call for that on the ol' teletype. We used to try "percussive maintenance". If that didn't get it going, you'd need a replacement, anyhow. When I was in the maintenance shop at MACV, there was this printer with a bootprint in this Vee shaped dent in the casing. The tag on it said "combat damage".

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 1 month ago:

That is a nice looking Panzer III.