1/35 Tamiya Panzer III

Started by Louis Gardner · 59 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years ago:

Yes Jeff, Bernard is correct with using a stapler to reconnect the broken track. I actually had to use that method for my last Sherman build. I went out to the hobby room one morning and I noticed something odd about my Sherman. The tracks had snapped in half !

So I borrowed the stapler from my wife and it was an easy fix. I hid the staples by placing them on the bottom run, with a set of road wheels on top of the connection.

• Profile Photo

Last night I managed to get some things finished on the Panzer III...

Here are some photos.

First lets go back and revisit the hand crank for the engine. There are two armored bolt on plates on the rear of the Panzer III. One of them is where the hand crank is inserted to turn the inertia starter.

If my memory is correct, this is the proper plate. I'm pointing at it with my trusty tooth pick.

This is the other plate. This one lines up better with the engine so it's possible...

On to the progress made.

I painted and installed the wooden jack / cribbing block. It can be seen in the left side of this picture. Strangely the instructions show it mounted on top of the towing "S" hooks. I couldn't find any decent reference photos to confirm this, so I went along with it. The fire extinguisher was also painted in the older dark "Panzer Gray" and installed. It can be seen on the fender, just behind the jack.

In this next picture, you can see where the other wooden handled pioneer tools were painted and installed. The ax and the shovel are mounted now.

I also added the extra track blocks in the same manner as shown in the original tank photo I found of this particular tank.

The next things I added were the spare road wheels. I painted these in the older dark "Panzer Gray" color too. I did this because this tank was in service right around the time when the Germans started using the overall yellow as a base color. I figured the spare parts and various tools would probably still be painted in the older colors.
    (plus it gives a color contrast) 🙂

Now all, I have left to do is to install the tracks on the other side and make an antennae mast for the radio.
    Here's a picture showing the individual track links.

and how the tank looks at the moment.

Getting closer...

As usual, comments are encouraged...

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

It looks so good it's ALMOST a shame to dirty it up with weathering and so on. Almost. I really like the wood-look treatment you gave the wooden handles. It looks real.

Well done, Louis.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff ! Thanks for the compliments my fellow DAT brother.

It's pretty simple how I do the wooden parts. First off, I brush on a coat of Testor's "wood" colored paint. I let it dry. Then I come back later and dry brush on another contrasting color to give it a wood grain effect. This particular time I used the Testor's color called "Rust". If you don't like how it looks, simply wipe if off with a dry paper towel and start over again...

• Profile Photo

Tonight's progress consisted of building up the individual track links. Once I got on a roll it went pretty smooth... Here's some more pictures showing how I build most of my tank model track sets...

I start off by carefully cutting out each individual track block from the trees. These are tracks that were manufactured by Dragon / DML. I have found it easier to work with (at least for me) by snipping off the excess plastic so that I end up with individual "sprues" like what you see on the right side of this picture below. It gives me more control with the cutting process.

After a little while you should have a small pile of plastic tracks like what you see here.

Then I assemble them, one by one. Once I get three or four in place, I go ahead and place a small amount of liquid glue at the joint on each side of the center guides... The capillary action draws the glue into the joint where the real track would have a track pin.

Once I get about 8 track blocks glued together, I simply take two wooden dowels, and place one on each side of the center guide. Then with one hand, I squeeze the wooden dowels together using just a little pressure. Too much can cause you problems. All you are trying to do here is make sure the tracks are straight.

With the other hand, place a slight amount of downward pressure to the wooden dowels. This will make sure the tracks are firmly seated together.

I assembled almost enough individual track blocks to complete the track run on this side. I wanted to install the track while the glue was still not fully hardened. This allows me to manipulate the track around the support rollers and sprockets.

I have also found it easier at this point if you can remove the sprockets and rear idler wheels. Then you can make sure the track will fit properly into the teeth of the sprockets. Now is the time when you want to set the track "sag" to suit your tastes.

I still have to install a few more individual track blocks to complete this side. However, I will let things set up overnight. This should make the track easier to glue together once I get the proper number of blocks added to this run...

I normally use some sort of device, (this time it's the same wooden dowels used earlier) to set the track sag. This last photo shows how the Panzer Mk III looks at the moment.

I hope that tomorrow I can finish this one up. Then if things go well, I can post the article up this weekend.

Until then... Comments are encouraged.

Thanks for looking.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 6 years ago:

Fantastic posts, Louis, you are really nailing down that helpful 'how to' style that's easy to follow and great for problem solving. I'd imagine a lot of our brethren (like me) are very tankfull for this.

Hope to see the end result this weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

You are a true master Louis, I love these old fashioned Individual Track Links! I don't mind assembling them, most importantly you can get the sag on the track exactly right. On the Dragon Tiger kit (my last build) these were DS tracks and the paint (enamel) on them is still drying and sticky after 10 days or so ...

Regarding the hand cranck access hatch, I attached a picture for you I found in the Spielberger book (German) on the Panzer III and it's variants. It appears to me the tank on the picture had a large wooden toolbox on the rear, but the upper hatch you photographed should be the one for the crank. Impossible to tell the version Pzkpfw III in the picture but since the engine placement was similar on all turreted-machines, this should be a fairly general feature.

PS: You can tell from the face of the tanker in the picture it was a hell of a job to get the flywheel going... Probably the kind of job going like: ...I crancked yesterday, you're on today mate!...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

David LS, you always manage to make me laugh... For that I am tankful too... 🙂 I am also very pleased to hear that my occasional "how to" articles are well received. Your Tiger is really looking good my friend.

• Profile Photo

Michel,
    Thanks for the picture showing how it was done ! That's exactly what I was looking for a few days ago. It looks like the first photo I posted was the correct one for the hand crank.

Also this is good to know about painting Dragon DS tracks. 10 days and the paint still hasn't dried... Wow.

It indeed sounds like a very labor intensive job cranking a Panzer up. From what I have read, this was a "backup" or "plan B" way to start the engines. The hand crank turned over an inertia type starter. Similar to what was used on aircraft.

Thanks again !

• Profile Photo

Tonight I finished up the Panzer III... the next time you see it, should be on the reveal, which I hope will happen sometime this weekend.

To begin with, I added the last individual track blocks to the "starboard side" ...
    There were ten individual blocks remaining to complete this side.

Then I fabricated an antennae out of heated / stretched sprue from the trees that were left over from the Dragon individual tracks. You can barely see it in this photo, but trust me, it's there. I followed the kit instructions and made it 55 MM long.

Now that the kit is finished, it almost seems a crime to dirty it up. She looks so good right now, al crisp and clean... but we real tankers know the deal... Tanks only look like this on two days. The day that they get a repainting, and during an inspection.

Other than this, tanks are pretty messy...

This last photo shows the Panzer after I gave it a very light wash to represent desert dust that normally collects on literally everything, the crew included.

Speaking of the crew... they are AWOL. My figure painting skills leave a lot to be desired, and I wanted to depict this tank with a crewman posed in each side hatch, and have the Commander in the cupola.
    Eventually I may add them... but for now, this one is as done as it gets.

I hope to write up an article this weekend and post it here on Imodeler.

Like all things, eventually there will be an end.

Many "Thanks" go out to each and every one of you that have been following this build.

David T., Thank you for putting this Group build together. It has been a good one !

I'll leave you with my signature sign off...

"Comments are encouraged".

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years ago:

Louis, what a beast that thing is! Beautifully done! Man, it looks like it's about to roll off my screen.

I'm so blessed to have you as a friend on this site; you've really supported the GB and made it a blast for all who've watched you, even as we've enjoyed what they've done. Kudos, my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years ago:

Congrats Louis, well done that Pzkpfw III, a must have for a GB like this! Looking fwd to the reveal and already I wonder what is next on the bench with you!

• Profile Photo

Thanks fellows ! I sincerely appreciate the compliments...

Michel, right now I am working on the FW-190's and the He-111's... I'll post up some pictures in a few... However, the next Armor build is probably going to be a Korean War era Sherman Easy 8.

• Profile Photo

I just posted the article on this build. Please check it out by following this link... Thanks again !

“Kasserine Pass” Afrika Korps Tamiya 1/35 Panzer III L, 10th Panzer Division, Tunisia, February 1943