The road to Damascus. Or possibly Kasserine…

Started by david leigh-smith · 326 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

That's some truly remarkable work there, David. Good show on the details that set it apart.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks, David. I'm really pleased you set up this GB for many reasons, not least of which is that it's very much extended my comfort zone and given me a lot of fun (and education) along the way. Hope to finish this build this weekend. The Arabic graffiti reads something like 'punch a Nazi',

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David, the house looks the part! I like the shot of the Tiger with the bottle next to it. Very nice work, proud of the newborn tanker friend!

• Profile Photo

Whisper it, Michel, but I do feel a little proud of how she's developing, too. When I first started my goal was not to be run off the site with people laughing and asking where the propellor was.

This personal conversion nears an end, and a modeling 'baptism' awaits. In truth, iModeler is a broad 'church' with many tribes, all of us...singular, special, remarkable, talented brothers.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Wiley said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David, I’ve only had time to lurk lately, but I do want to say that Tiger looks great. And I also want to say how much I like being a part of iModeler for the very reasons you stated. Great input and fellowship amongst like-minded hobbyists.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

That's one great tank - especially coming from an aircraft guy! I just refuse to take the plunge, but glory in your endeavor!

• Profile Photo

Gary @wiley2770 I appreciate that, and 'lurking' around here is often better than actually building models anyway!

• Profile Photo

Greg @gkittinger - I greatly appreciate the compliment, pal. If you ever feel like bringing a different girl to the party, I'd recommend it.

• Profile Photo

After several months of taking a bullet for the team, (my dear wife has been using the 'model room' as a peaceful place to study) I moved my tools, implements, and instruments back into my beloved and sacred space.

All is now well with the world and magically that creeping sense of angst that has accompanied me since the end of last summer has just...vanished. How territorial we are, deep in that primal organ that carries our hopes, ambitions, and modeling dreams. I happily ceded my ground for what I saw as a greater good, but a price was paid. Or as Bill Shakespeare said, "Venus smiles not in a house of tears".

Anyway, I'm back in the den. All is good. Happy days.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Well done my friend... The Tiger is looking fantastic. It is "Official" now... You have come over to the "Dark Side" of Armor building. Your black T-shirt is our new slogan.

I'll bet "Vincent" was really looking forward to getting "Bombed" by a "Lancaster", but the bottled variety...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

I know that this post I'm making at the moment is not really relevant to the Tiger, but I hope that you will enjoy this one ...

Remember when we were all talking about "Jeep" the Coyote about a month ago ?

Our good friend Jeff Bailey hit upon something when he asked me if anyone released a set of decals to build the P-51...

Well I started digging...
    And ran across this:

The very top set of decals on the sheet are for "Wild Bill Crump's" Mustang named Jackie. You can see Jeep right next to the fuselage codes "P. I. * W."

I was really stoked once I found this set...
    and promptly hit the "Buy it Now" button... Here's some of the Mustangs included in the decal sheet...

They were all flown from Martlesham heath, where my fellow Thunderbolt pilot friend, Ed Malo was stationed. Ed is the gentleman who told me the story about Jeep many years ago.

I see a new project in the very near future...

as a tribute to Jeep, "Wild Bill", and my friend Ed, who passed away about 3 1/2 years ago.

"Now back to our regularly scheduled programing"...

• Profile Photo

Thanks so much, Louis. I'm really pleased to be back in the den (as you can probably tell) and will be able to get more building done in general. Hoping to finish the Tiger this weekend, then simultaneously on to the 'underwater Hellcat' and the 'Higher Call' diorama. I just managed to bag an old Accurate Minatures Avenger in Enterprise colors (Truk) which will be in line for the summer. Really looking forward to that absolute beauty of a model.

This most assuredly will not be the only tank I build. I hope to make an Eastern Europe diorama to capture Hans and Karl in Belarus, probably a later Mark Tiger. After all, I still have those Friul tracks. On the bench you can see lots of stone castings I've been making in preparation for an ancient bridge as part of this build.

But for now, a long day at work ahead and first coffee of the day. Hope you are well, Louis.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Nice score Louis, that should be an interesting project. David your work area looks great, compact, organized, clean, cheese I'm sort of jealous.

• Profile Photo

I love that you have found a set of these decals - the howling coyote is perfect and it sounds like a fantastic project. That photo of 'Wild Bill' looking so proud by his Mustang is a great find. I get really excited when I find a build where things just fit into place like this. This is a gorgeous Pony and I know you'll do her (and your friend) proud.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

David - I can see that you are a little OCD about your modeling space - like me! However, the overhang on that cutting mat almost made my bite my lip as I'm eating lunch at the moment...I'd have to take a hacksaw to that! All the edges must align... not to mention my propensity to pull the whole thing into my lap!