Airfix 1/72 Handley Page Halifax B.III

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 32 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, Bomber Command GB, Halifax, Handley Page
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Hi everyone!

Had this ancient Airfix Halifax started a long time ago, having progressed almost 95%, but left it aside collecting dust due to the less than perfect transparencies. I could live with all of them but the rear turret one...

I lately took it out of the Shelf of Unfinished Projects Doom and started working on it. Basically finishing the weathering, attaching the asymmetrical canopy and the wheels.

Then I thought that, since it is an ongoing project, it would be a good idea to enter it in our friend's Admin @lis Bomber Command GB. So here it is...

Since I could not live with the rear turret, I kept its humungus central oval section and cut two side transparent panels from acetate sheet... her is the central section installed... ...here is the top turret under preparation... ...here are misc "bits'n'pieces"... ...and here is the progress so far... .

It is about time this deep-stalled project of this ancient kit be finished, of course in the shadow of the very good and excellently built Halifax of our friend @lis.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Great entry my friend @fiveten !
    Your Halifax looks great! And scratch build turrets too!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Great entry and ditto work, Spiros @fiveten
    Good to see that this groupbuild of Lis @lis motivated you to continue work on this Halifax.
    The turrets look great indead and I wonder how you get those acetate pieces into the correct shape.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb! I placed the original transparencies onto the clear sheet, outlined them with a fine marker and cut them with a pair of scissors. I cut them tad broader, then trimmed them to shape by trial and error process. Upon finishing, I brutally twisted them by hand, in order to somehow obtain their distinctive curvy shape. Still, I am not sure of their fit...we shall see...

• Profile Photo

Rear turret side panels attached...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Great!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Well, a group build is always great to inspire one to finish a project from the shelf of doom. This really looks like a bear of a prehistoric kit to me, Spiros @fiveten. You seem to be making the most of it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @eb801!

Will not deny it: I have an itch for older kits. Only "problem" with the specific one is that plastic itself is too brittle and this included the clear parts where he slightest attempt to clean the vast amounts of flash or polish them would result in severe crazing and unexpected cracking. It is true that the specific copy was a 1990 release, meaning the already hard plastic had a good 30 years to become extra brittle! I think late re-releases of ancient molds use softer, nicer plastic 🙂

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Nicely done, Spiros @fiveten
    Thanks for the clear explanation on the acetate parts.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

Transparencies almost finished...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

I'm impressed!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 1 month ago:

Wow. That's very impressive cutting those scratch built turrets. They really do look great @fiveten. Did you scratch that rear turret as well?