B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 9 months ago:

@johnb It's fantastic news! I'm glad that You can buy this set of decals!

PS. Airfix reply my in that way. Strange. And I think the have wrong people in wrong place (spares store)

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

@lis, that is a very unfriendly email you got from Airfix. Absolutely not a customer friendly service.

• Profile Photo

@johnb I wonder where I could write to file a complaint about the Airfx service. I wanted to like the new Airfix, but its scores dropped a lot in my eyes.
    PS. Bombs are quite poor with big seam. I sanded it as I can do the best. I'm thinking about resin set but it could be difficult to sitck resin bomb to the bomb racks. Of course resin bombs increase budget. What do You think about it?

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Large corporations often are not too considerate of individuals and their needs, @lis.
    Is this a part that will be seen when the model is complete? Can you repair the original sufficiently to be used or make one from scratch? It might be better in the long run to not deal with some faceless entity at Airfix customer no service department.

You shouldn’t have to pay for the replacement for a defective part from the factory anyway.

• Profile Photo

Those bombs look pretty good, @lis. I don’t think those seams would be noticeable once installed inside the airplane.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

I too would use the kit provided bombs, my friend @lis! The seams will be practically invisible upon finishing.

• Profile Photo

With your modelling skills you will absolutely be able to turns these bombs into perfect ones for your kit, Bernard @lis
    They currently do look nice already.

• Profile Photo

@ssgt I think I try to glue this part. This is the bomber door actuator. You can see this on photo. I wonder if it is worth buying Airfix models for the future, since there are such problems. They have a few that interest me, such as the B-25 or the Mosquito, but now I don't know that myself. explain one more thing to me. Why did Airfix employees make calls to perform an operation with a credit card?

@fiveten @johnb Airfix has some elements hard to sand because of their shape, but I did the best I could.

• Profile Photo

@lis, I wouldn’t give up on Airfix just because of this one issue... I haven’t built any of their newer models but have heard people on imodeler say good things about them . I’m sure you can repair that part and it’ll be good to go. Although I understand your annoyance.

Airfix management probably changed their procedures about providing replacement parts. It’s not uncommon for people in customer service roles to be rude.

The photo of the cockpit for your B-17 shows some impressive workmanship ... it looks great, like it should be 1/48 scale. Very impressive for 1/72. I could never do that . I’m sure you can rebuild that part .

This is a Hasegawa B-17G I built several years ago. There are two more flying Fortresses in my stash waiting to be built.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb I simply glued this part with extra thin glue and primed. I think it will be good. I also have an observation regarding the seat belts. These are photo-etched kits, but they almost look like decals. Hence the conclusion that you can sometimes successfully use a set of decals, which are included with the model more than once and it will also be fine. I've never done that, but maybe it makes sense.

@ssgt So You are welcome to ou group build with Your B-17 from your stash! This Hasegawa model looks pritty good! despite the fact that it is probably quite an old production. How was it built?

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, my friend @lis!
    It would be great if you join us, my friend @ssgt!

• Profile Photo

Bomb bay are finished.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You are doing an amazing job here, Bernard @lis
    Both, bomb bay and seats looking excellent.

@ssgt, would love to see one of yours being build here as well, Jay

• Profile Photo

@johnb Thank You! I Do my best.

• Profile Photo

Bomb bay looks wonderful, my friend @lis!