B-17 - group build!

Started by capt. R · 741 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Thank you for the invitation , @lis , @fiveten, and @johnb... I may join you . I’m trying to finish a P-40E Warhawk and want to concentrate on getting it finished before starting another project. This will be my first model of the year, if it is completed.

Your cockpit & bomb bay are stellar @lis ! Amazingly so, especially considering it’s a 1/72 kit.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@fiveten @johnb
    @ssgt

Thank you! with the bombs there was some work, but the decals hid their imperfections in the end. The bomb bay is designed very interestingly, you have to use force (and CA glue) a bit to make everything stick. Here is my mistake, because a small dot of glue is unfortunately visible on the joint inside the chamber. I painted it with silver paint, but if you persist in it, you can see something there. We will see how the interior assembly will go on. The B-17 is a model from 2016, because when watching the YT B-25, for example, the Airfix went a lot further with details inside.
    PS. Bombs looks like 500 lbs. What do You think?
    The set also has a radar (replace Sperry turret) in a retracted and extended version, so I can really consider painting "Yankiee Girl"

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

As usual, you are too hard to yourself, my friend @lis, as the bomb bay is perfect!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Agree with Spiros @fiveten, Bernard @lis
    Don't try to be perfect. Your current work is already at a high level of modelling.

• Profile Photo

Work going on, but slowly. I decided to follow Airfix painting interior scheme.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking superb, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

You are really doing exellent work, Bernard @lis
    I should get started on mine as well.

• Profile Photo

@johnb I will be waiting on Your build 🙂

• Profile Photo

Set of masks from eduard have one problem. Don't have masks to interior side of windows. I ordered set of Montex masks for masking exterior Windows in nose.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Quite some masking to do on a B17, Bernard @lis

• Profile Photo

Quite some masking to do on a B17, Bernard @lis

• Profile Photo

This is some serious masking, my friend @lis! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

@gblair @fiveten @johnb

@ssgt

Stuffing all the accessories in the fuselage gave me another gray hair. You need a lot of precision because all the equipment is very extensive in length, so if at a given point something moves by a millimeter, then the whole thing is mounted imprecisely and does not fit. At one point, I had to tear off the glued parts, because it turned out that the wall of the bomb chamber did not fit the mounting points. At one point I had no strength, because for the third time my radio chair fell off, leaving a glue mark on the floor of the radio cabin, which made me very nervous. I masked all the shortcomings on an ongoing basis using Tamiya valorisation kits and repainted a few paint strips with Mr Hobby acrylic silver. These were the points of inaccurate bonding that showed up on the rear-to-fuselage deck. I hope that it will not be visible after closing it and additionally I masked everything with a light bronze wash to emphasize the walls of the fuselage.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

You did a great job after all, my friend @lis! Will look spotless once the fuselage is closed.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 1 year, 10 months ago:

That kit has a very detailed interior , and you,@lis , are doing an incredible job ! It looks awesome. That’s an amazing the amount of interior detail. My old Hasegawa Flying Fortress has almost no interior. Is the Revell 1/72 B-17G as complex ?