B-24 Liberator (one or maybe even two?) - new project.

Started by capt. R · 161 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@fiveten @johnb work goes slow 🙂

@airbum Hobby Store in Perth was only one in whole world that has this set of decals. I went crazy and bought it. And I have to pay tax before I recived it from my post office... I try to bought set of decals from MAV, from RPA, but shop didn't answer me during whole month, and next sent a payment request for the wrong amount and the wrong order number. After my e-mail asking for clarification, silence again. The MAV-Decals brand store has poor service.. The MAV-Decals brand store has poor service.

So... Airframe is Redy! Wings fits very good. I started build turrets. Masking take me all day. And... Eduard gave only one set of masks on turret. But there are two turrets... 2x A-6A. They gave also for A-15 turret but I don't use it in this painting scheme.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Very steady progress, my friend @lis! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Coming along nicely, Lis @lis
    I'm always impressed by the wingspan of the Liberator.

• Profile Photo

A-6A turrets looks very fragile. Two clear pieces was glued on plastic stand with Guns. All evening work. Dorsal turret fit better I think.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

The turrets are outstanding, @lis, especially in this scale. I appreciate your search for the decals. It always seems like I decide on a paint scheme and marking and then can't find the decals. It is like my ideas for builds are always out of sync with the people who manufacture things.

• Profile Photo

They do look perfect, Lis @lis
    Very sharp paintwork on the frame.

• Profile Photo

Turrets look amazing, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten @johnb @gblair Thank You! it seems to me that the sharpness of the glazing division line results from my method of priming the painting with a primer and using a bit of a thicker paint for better adhesion. This is not the end of interesting facts, as you remember, the Eduard set did not allow for painting two A-6A turrets. I used an alternative Montex kit. It turns out that both sets mask the glazing differently! Eduard kit, all the way to the edge, the Montex kit remained on the edge of the glazing from the face of a narrow strip exposed. I had to make up my mind and do it equally for both of them. So I masked the Montex masking. In addition, the Montex set does not work on a curved surface. masking with one piece of tape seems unrealistic as proposed by Montex. That is why I improved this little tower and its painting with a toothpick in several places. Finally, one of them fell under the table and I had to stick it back together. Bad karma! but everything is ok.

Revell seems to have designed his turrets more stable, but I hope these also do the job. I wanted to use the A-15 turret a bit, but due to a different observer position in the B-24 of 31 Squadron, I rejected this version. the only model with such a version is made by the almost unavailable Minicraft B-24 M Mama Fo Fo (if any of you know where you can buy one, I will gladly use this knowledge).

PS. A miracle has happened! The MAV from RPA wrote back and I finally paid them for the decals. They were alternative decals for the B-24 from 34 squadron. Also very interesting! Since I put so much energy into the contract, I decided that I would regret the $ 15, because maybe they will be useful for some future project. what do you think about it?

PS. The rounded parts of the turret are a bit disturbing in its transparency, but this is the charm of this set. Probably vacuu castings would be better, but I must admit, I can't handle them.

you may have noticed that one turret is devoid of machine guns. it is a deliberate procedure. In order to relieve the aircraft, some of the weapons were dismantled during the long-range mission. In the front turret and in the side stands (although there are photos, sometimes when the flew closer, the side ones were sometimes mounted, but there was probably no general rule here).

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Lis, those turrets look great! Don't doubt your work ... it;s excellent!

• Profile Photo

@mikegolf Thank You!

• Profile Photo

Indeed, your job is splendid, my friend @lis! As for the extra decals, not to worry: they will undoubtedly find their use in the future!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

I also think the paint looks great, @lis. Turrets are always difficult because many of the glass areas are very small and hard to mask. I have used Montex before and have had problems getting them to work on tightly curved surfaces. I also wouldn't worry too much about the decals. The prices for decals are going up and up, and I don't think the price is too far out of line.

• Profile Photo

Yesterday I painted some small bits.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Everything looking superb, my friend @lis!

• Profile Photo

Nice work on those tiny part, Lis @lis