B-24D "The Blue Streak", Bond Tour Veteran, Monogram 1/48th

Started by Walt · 219 · 2 weeks ago · 376th Bomb Group, 41-11613, B-24, Florine JuJu, Halpro, Halverson Project, Monogram, Ploesti, Teggie Ann, The Blue Streak
  • Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Great decaling!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Well it has been a while since I posted. I have been busy at work, and then took a trip to visit my parents for their 65th wedding anniversary. I have started the weathering process, first with a wash, and then started adding some staining over the wings from the engines. It looks okay on the gloss coat but really pops with the dull coat. I have started applying the dull coat and you can see the difference between the port wing and the starboard wing where the inboard engine and wing area has not been dull coated. I am also very happy with how the decals melted into the top coat and look painted. I hope to get more weathering done this weekend...I feel like I am in the home stretch.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

All looking excellent, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman! Indeed, the weathering pops up with the dull coat, the difference is clear.
    Great that you visited your parents for their 65th anniversary. Must have been an unforgettable moment!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

Congratulations with your parents wedding, an impressive amount of years, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    The weathering does look great, as do the decals, they indeed follow the surface perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    James M @A20havoc said 3 weeks, 4 days ago:

That is looking fantastic Walt. Those vector cowlings are such an improvement. I am in awe of your precise scribing work! She looks good. I prefer to weather over the flat coats. You can get all kinds of subtleties. I love the tail markings too. Can’t wait to see it done. Congrats to your parents as well.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Well I unmasked this last Friday and was devestated. Some how even though everything was masked up tight, I managed to fog my nose glazing. I can't explain it, the mind races and the heart sinks seeing such a thing after over a years worth of work. There is no access to the nose to clean it off, so I had to figure something out.

Well I knew the nose had to come off, if I was lucky I would get it off without damage, clean it, and install it. Just in case I ordered two on eBay to cover any inadvertant worsening of the situation.

Well, I was able to miraculously able to get the nose off without damage, clean it and reinstall it. I will be offering up at least one B-24D Nose and Canopy set on eBay soon! 🙂 The only casualty in the process was a pitot tube, which I had printed about 20 of so no worries. I just need to do a little paint touch up and I am back on track so it was a good day.

The day was made even better by the arrival of ICM's new B-26 Marauder! What a beautiful kit and I will do a review later this week. Just for fun I put a Monogram fuselage up against the ICM fuselage, a mm or so difference but you could almost glue them together.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

A save like that, @luftwaffe-birdman, is the difference between the winners and the also-rans.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Great correction work, Walt @luftwaffe-birdman
    The nose glazing looks perfect now.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks ago:

Awesome remedy, my friend @luftwaffe-birdman!