Decoding a 489th BG / 845th BS photo caption

Started by Wes Pennest · 13 · 3 days ago · 489th BG, 845th BS, B-24, liberator, mighty eighth
  • Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 1 month ago:

Going through my grandpa's effects the other day and found a framed photo of his B-24 Liberator's crew with his medals. It's difficult for me to take a photo because the glass is very reflective (I'll add it later after I take a passable photo) but there's a "caption" on the bottom (more like a serial or locator number) that reads
    "489bg-4g-50:1-3:18-crew #26 845thsq"

I figure that "489bg" and "845thsq" are self evident, as is "crew" (it's a photo of the crew) but all of the other stuff is unintelligible. I don't thing "4g" refers to cellphones, for example. Grandpa never talked much about his time in the war, but he got a Purple Heart, DFC and a USAAF Air Medal with 3 bronze oak leaves. I've always wondered if he was in a bomber that had a "name" or if any decals for it had been made, but aside from one anecdote ("Tail why are you wasting ammo on that German? He's way out of range!" "Yessir, and I aim to keep him there!") he never talked about his time in the air either. I'm grasping at straws trying to find out the name of the plane he flew, so I'm hoping that "locator caption" might point me in the right direction.

Anybody have any idea?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Really tricky, my friend @avispa93. The mystery codes should refer to some sort of specific assignment or mission or so. If nothing comes up, how about seatching the net, finding B-24 dedicated sites and contact them?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Very interesting, Wes @avispa93
    Let's hope you will be able to find the meaning of these codes, searching the internet might indeed be the best approach.
    A great anecdote from your granddad.

• Profile Photo

So far, my search has lead me to the squadron roster on the American Air Museum In Britain (https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/unit/845th-bomb-squadron) but the page was last updated in 2015 and doesn't have my grandpa's name in it. I also went through the US Archives' web-searchable scan of ID cards and came up with nothing. I am shocked, shocked that government records are incomplete. Oh well, the search continues.

• Profile Photo

Here's the photo in question. The caption is at the bottom. You can clearly see that this is a B-24 and it's most likely in the olive drab scheme, but whether it's D-E or H-J is unclear. If you peer into the left-side background, you can see the back end of another Liberator, which, again, doesn't help much. Behind that Liberator almost looks like a geographic feature like a hill or a mountain but it could also be a flaw in the image. I can't get a better photo because it's fastened inside a frame that's sealed inside a display case.

My search thus far indicates that his plane was most likely an H model, either block 15 or 20, but I wouldn't know if it was a Ford, Consolidated, or Douglas-built airframe.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Interesting search, Wes (@avispa93). I think that the crew number identifies the crew within the squadron. You were assigned to a specific crew that you always flew with. Each crew was given a number for administrative purposes. Trying to find detail from black and white photos is notoriously hard. Something you might try as a longshot, is to photocopy the picture with the contrast turned up as high as you can and see if it might bring out some details on the plane in the foreground or those in the background. I have had success using this maybe 25% of the time, but it is better than 0%. Good luck.

• Profile Photo
    Robert O'Connor said 1 month ago:

Try the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum in Georgia. They have an extensive collection of specific BG and even individual aircraft histories. It's an incredible museum with amazing historic resources. If they cant help you, likely no one can.

• Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

I did contact the Mighty Eighth Museum and while they were able to give me his USAAF serial number, they were unable to provide any other information about him. But they did point me in a great direction: the US National Archives has what (I believe) are called Military Air Combat Reports, and THEY have reports for the 489th BG and 845th BS, which are for when my grandpa was serving. There are some downsides: those records have not yet been digitized and to view them I need to actually be physically present at their facility. Luckily for me, I live pretty close to the National Archives so it won't be too much of an imposition on me to go and look them up. That's where the other downside comes in: I want to schedule a visit with actual assistance from their staff, and doing that (getting the boxes pulled, et cetera) takes a while. So I sent them an email and they'll get back to me in three or so weeks.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Some promising news, my friend @avispa93!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Sounds very promising, Wes @avispa93
    Although it might take some time, you are at least in the right direction.

• Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 4 days, 13 hours ago:

And at last, the thrilling conclusion!

the National Archives replied and indicated that those records were technical reports related to the performance of H2X radar and had no mention of crews. They then directed me to the National Air and Space Museum for access to their microfilm copy of the USAAF's Aircraft History and Record Cards. That inquiry resulted with the following results

• the Aircraft History and Record Cards were tracking data solely for aircraft operated within the United States, they did not cover any period when the aircraft were being ferried to Europe or their disposition there.
    • Personnel were permanently assigned to crews, but crews could be (and were) arbitrarily assigned to whatever aircraft were available as the missions required.
    • Aircraft typically had a primary crew and any naming or nose art were applied by this primary crew. If the crews were referred to at all they were almost always referred to as [Pilot In Command]'s Crew (Lt. Smith's Crew, eg).
      -The NASM provided the squadron code (T4) and the unit identifier (Green vertical stabilizer with vertical white band and aircraft letter)

Shortly thereafter, I received a reply from the Air Force Historical Research Agency, which consisted of a handful of documents that included my grandpa's travel orders, assignments and lists of medal recipients. And there he was, his name mostly faded away from a combination of light typewriter keystrokes and non-archival ink, but it was quite clear: his travel orders for the rest of his crew from the US to England, and the aircraft was...

42-94948

He obviously didn't stick with this aircraft for the duration; when 948 was interned in Sweden in August 1944, it carried a completely different crew. B24bestweb has three photos of this aircraft, and I believe these are the only ones that exist. It doesn't seem to have born a name, but it does carry (what looks like) a pinup on the starboard side of the nose. It is VERY similar in shape to the noseart on the P-47D "In The Mood" which was also based at Halesworth (see the attached image from the great Tolga Ulgur: https://imodeler.com/2022/12/1-32-trumpeter-p-47d-1-in-the-mood/) . It also sported applique arrmor plating under the pilot and copilot's windows, and its outer nacelle rings were unpainted metal. Its inner cowl flaps were also unpainted metal.

The End!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 days ago:

Still some very valuable information, Wes @avispa93
    Great you received so much help from various organisations.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 days, 13 hours ago:

Really amazing that this info emerged, my friend @avispa93!