H-K Models 1/48 B-25J Mitchell

Started by Tom Cleaver · 34 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@johnb - The masks were done by me - but I'll bet in a few months Eduard will bring out both masks and a photoetch cockpit detail set.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 3 months ago:

You're moving along faster than a speeding bullet, Tom. Hope those waist guns don't get knocked off. I guess there's no way to add the gear after the fact?

Regarding that large scale A-20 Havoc - never thought I'd ever see that kitted in 1/32nd scale. Should be amazing I would think.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@tcinla, impressive, that must have been a lot of work to get those masks done. Great result.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - I just use Tamiya Tape and a sharp #11 blade. It can be time consuming.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@tcinla - yep, I read it on their distributors leaflet they’re putting some stuff for this kit, as you and many others expected. Now what I find intriguing is the apparent lack of AM decals offers so far

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Tom, @tcinla, that looks great. I don't see any putty lines anywhere. That must be a phenomenal fitting kit. What a pleasure that must be to build.

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer - there are a ton of AM B-25 decals in existence. Kits World has done several sheets of Corsica bombers as well as others (be careful there, they have also done sheets for the airplanes in the movies "Catch-22" and "Hanover Street"). SuperScale and MicroScale did several, which can be found on eBay (which is where I found "the Little King")

• Profile Photo

Here it is painted. Vallejo acrylic metalizer. Aluminum overall, with White Aluminum for the aluminum dope painted on the fabric covered control surfaces.

I applied an overall coat of Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black and allowed it to dry overnight and through the morning for about 24 hours. Then I began applying the metalizer, "misting" it on with repeated applications till it got to the point of "good coverage." This is not the same as "complete coverage." "Good coverage" allows the underlying black to help "pop out" the very petite surface details - which I think you can see here and it's only better-looking in person. Also, the "good coverage" is not completely uniform, though the differences are subtle, which to my eye replicates the "aging of the surface with dirt, grease, oil, etc. accumulating here and there randomly.

Decals later.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

This looks really great, Tom @tcinla
    The 'good' coverage does indeed create a beautiful effect.
    Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@tcinla
    Hey Tom, I’m aware of those “older” decals made with the accurate miniatures kits in mind (and their reboxed options). What I meant is lack of brand new ones on the wake of this new kit.
    Of course all are good for the HK kit, but it’s odd to me since I believe this kit (and others versions if they come around) will be a best seller

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Excellent painting, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer - I totally agree with you. I would love to get decals to do "Lucky 13/Pistol Packin' Mama" of the 321st BG of the 57th BW, flown by Dan Bowling, who I think sets the standard of excellence for World War II guys both in the war and later - at least among all those I met through the years. As his friend Paul Young put it, "He was the squadron leader - that's different from the squadron commander."

• Profile Photo

Finished. Full review at Modeling Madness tomorrow.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 3 months ago:

@tcinla - that looks terrific and in record time! I've come to really like Vallejo acrylic metalizers.