The Blitz. Dornier 17. The Flying Pencil. Eduard 1/48

Started by Paul Barber · 9 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 year, 11 months ago:

My family, as Londoners, were at the centre of the bombing campaign that followed hot on the heels of the Battle of Britain. It was known simply as ‘The Blitz’.

My parents and grandparents spent plenty of time in the air raid shelters and many nights in packed London Underground stations, escaping the carnage above. Eventually my mother and her brother were evacuated and left London on a train, leaving their parents behind, to go to Wales, and get away from the threat. They joined literally millions of children who were evacuated at various points from 1939 onwards.

Although they were away from danger they both hated it there, away from their family and in the countryside. They were city kids! Like the children in the photo below they too would have been ‘labeled’ and taken to Paddington Station to board one of the trains of the Great Western Railway.

My next entry to this build is one of the planes that bombed Britain, and no doubt added to the tally of 43,000 lost Londoners.

From the point at which a German bomber discarded its bombs over London towards the end of the Battle Britain, starting the consequent retaliation and bombing of civilians from Coventry to Dresden, and culminating in the controversial strategies of Bomber Harris and Bomber Command and the German V-weapons from 1944, again throwing London into terror, world war 2 had become something that existed more horrifically for all European families.

To remember this time for my family, friends and so many others, I’ll be building the Eduard (ICM) 1/48 Dornier 17: ‘The Flying Pencil’. The kit decals offer the chance to build one of the planes involved in the Bombing of London and the many other cities attacked in late 1940.

More history and the start of the build soon!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Your choice is a great addition to this group, Paul @yellow10
    The Do17 is an exceptional aircraft and you will definitely build this one into an amazing model.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 year, 11 months ago:

I’ll give it a shot, John!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Excellent choice Paul! I’ll be following with keen interest, since I have the ICM kit also on the works.
    The Z-5 version is very appealing, as is the plane’s livery

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Indeed an amazing choice, my friend @yellow10!
    And a great historical backup, as well!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Strapped in!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

I have this kit too, and it needs some Barber Inspiration to get it off the to-do pile.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 1 year, 11 months ago:

It will be great build!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to this build, Paul (@yellow10). The Eduard kit should build into a nice model.