USN SBD-2 ‘Battle of Midway’ Academy 1/48

Started by Paul Barber · 27 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 2 years ago:

Thanks so much for the invite, Lis!

I was going to build a dive bomber for the 80th Anniversary of the Battle of Midway, so this is a nice place to share some steps along the way. I imagine that many on here have built this kit, so not too much by way of intro!

I know it’s not a huge plane, I’ll see about adding a bigger bomber later. Hopefully we’ll have some fun along the way. As an SBD-2 (not a shiny new SBD-3 in 1942) I’ll have a little leeway regarding the fading.

The plane I’m going to build will be ‘BuNo 2106’, a famous plane pulled from Lake Michigan to currently reside in the National Naval Aviation Museum in Florida.

It has a very well documented History, having survived the attack on Pearl Harbor; flown in raids against the Japanese in New Guinea; and now existing as the only surviving plane from Midway. Eventually this aircraft became part of a training unit in Illinois and ditched in Lake Michigan in 1943. It was recovered in 1994 before going on display, after restoration, in 2001.

It is considered to be one of the most ‘historic’ aircraft on the planet!

More of the history later. Here is a picture of the plane on Midway Atoll, dating from early June 1942.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

Amazing entry, my friend @yellow10!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Cheers @fiveten Spiros!

Here’s some interior sub-builds and the engine. Eduard Etch is decent, and I used paper belts - not wholly accurate but mostly hidden. Still a bit of dry brushing to do but hopefully close her up this week.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years ago:

simply "Wow!" my friend @yellow10!
    Interior and engine look absolutely superb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years ago:

Very impressive, Paul @yellow10
    How did you create those buckles on the belts?
    Amazing detailing.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years ago:

Paul, @yellow10
    This is INCREDIBLE ! The cockpit and engine look extremely realistic, the best I have ever seen done by far. It's almost a shame to hide them. This is going to be an amazing build, as are everything you make.

I think this SBD was also stationed nearby at the Deland Naval Air Station. I will do some digging when time permits and see if I can find the pictures when it was raised from the deep. Some of the paint had eroded from the fuselage, revealing the "Deland" modex code of "DE" if indeed this was the same plane I am thinking about.

The work you are doing on this model make it museum worthy too. How cool would it be to have your model on display next to the real one at Pensacola ?

• Profile Photo

Hi @johnb they are just part of a really cheap paper belts set I got from the not-so-local hobby store. Buckles are stiff paper - painted silver using a citadel paint.

• Profile Photo

Thanks so much @fiveten and @lgardner I'm looking forward to this build - although I don't think it will be unique in any way! The red looks better in real life than the photo of the engine as the photo is way bigger than life size! To be honest there was a Mig Oil Brusher in red sitting on the bench so I picked out the details with that. The Eduard etch is pretty decent - seems to fit well.

And Louis, I'd love to visit those places one day!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years ago:

Somehow I missed your topic in the sea of ​​my work. It looks like a fantastic construction and fantastic story! The cockpit and engine ooks great! You are welcome!

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 year, 11 months ago:

An update after quite a bit of work but no time to post.

Need to go quickly now if I’m going to make it for June 4th - the 80th anniversary of The Battle of Midway!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Nice work on this so far, @yellow10. I remember when this airplane was out at Chino in the mid-90s after it was pulled out of the lake - covered in Z-mussels.

This is my take on the airplane - the Trumpeter kit (the AccMin kit pantographed up to 1/32):

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Looks great, Tom! It’s a well trodden path and so famous. I’m looking forward to making it messy on top! I was considering bullet holes - as in some of the famous snaps taken in 1942 but that may be a stretch!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Looking absolutely superb, my friend @yellow10!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 11 months ago:

The cockpit is highly realistic and very comprehensive. Well done

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Superb progress, Paul @yellow10
    Nice paintwork.