Revell 1/48 Beaufighter 21

Started by Tom Cleaver · 14 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

So, I got this kit shortly after I got the Beaufighter I I did as a IC. I did all the assembly of the wheel wells and the wing, then wasn't sure what I was going to do, so I collected aftermarket stuff, waiting for a critical mass and fission. Got the Eduard LOOK instrument panel and seatbelts, got some decals, finally Special Hobby announced a set of parts and decals to do a Beaufighter 21, and I knew the time had come.

That set arrived last week, and this afternoon I decided to proceed. Having done a kit already, I was familiar with what to do so things went easy, other than fitting the resin part on the nose for the autopilot so it would fit with the Look instrument panel. Had to do some carving out there to get the panel section deep enough (I think SH expects you to use the Eduard photo-etch instrument panel, which I had but didn't use.

I'll be using rails and rockets from an Eduard Tempest V. It's going to be done as "Flying Gremlin."

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, my friend @tcinla!
    If I recall well, it is this kit where the MLG has to be assembled and attached at early stages, otherwise it will be near impossible to fit?

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 2 years, 11 months ago:

G'day Tom (@tcinla),
    It is good to see an Aussie Beau being built.

I should add my Beaufighter 21 to the build thread.
    I have a Tamiya kit that has been on the SoD for nearly 20 years.
    It stalled for a number of reasons, one being that I was going to build it in recognition of a family friend, now deceased, who served as ground crew with 22 SQN RAAF late in WW2 when they had converted to the Beaufighter. He could remember the aircraft code, DU-D, but not the aircraft number (I think he thought it was A8-38, but that ditched off Noemfoor while his aircraft survived the war to be scrapped just before he was discharged.). I haven't managed to work that out yet.
    Probably the main reason is the fact that there were a number of significant differences for the Australian built aircraft.
    I know that most of this is too late for you, but the cockpit was different, particularly the layout of the instrument panel. Also, I don't believe that they had the heating duct as this isn't in any photos or drawings that I have access to.
    The most obvious difference is the shape of the observer's bubble canopy. I have a Red Roo vacuform replacement - RRR48165. I has two of the canopies, so if I mess one up...
    Another difference is that the main gear covers were manufactured differently, I think they were pressed metal rather than riveted, but I'm not too fussed about that.
    And the wingtip formation lights are only on the forward edge, but your kit has that (and they were clear with coloured bulbs.)
    So, I paused part way through building the cockpit as I didn't have an easy solution to the instrument panel at the time - I should see what spare instrument decals I have in the stash.
    There is also a lot of detail that could be added to the internal fuselage...
    Otherwise, I have Cutting Edge engines with correct hedgehog exhausts these will take a lot of work) and Red Roo seats with belts, rockets and rails for under the wing (which I have mostly corrected).
    I have an idea of a diorama with on of the engines exposed and being worked on by our friend - more work, particularly for an Aussie ground crew figure in tropical kit (or the lack of).

Your build may be the motivation I need.

• Profile Photo

And, the elevator trim tab linkages were on the underside.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great subject, Tom. I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing to an Airfix 1/72 Beaufighter.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - yes, you have to add the gear early.

• Profile Photo

@michaelt - fortunately none of those changes in the Aussie Beau are things anyone on the rightside-up part of the planet will know. 🙂

I can however, change the linkages, thanks to my trusty #11.

• Profile Photo

So, thanks to @michaelt, I learned to change the elevators and as able to pop them off and just switch each to the other side.

I finished assembly, using the Squadron vacuform canopy I fortunately had, after cracking the kit canopy. A bit of "fettling" got it to fit. Used the SH conversion set canopy over the nav position.

I preshaded, then painted the model. Started with Tamiya XF-23 Black Green, then some XF-26 Deep green added in to lighten it, went over the panels, then some for XF-23 to "fade" it, the end result is a multi-hue overall green finish. The exhaust collector ring is done with a mixture of Vallejo Magnesium and Copper, and the forward ring is Light Burned Metal.

Decals next.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Happy to help, Tom (@tcinla).

I assume your main colour was XF-27 Black Green (not XF-23, which is a light blue) which, as I recall is a good match for the variant of RAAF Foliage Green that was applied to Beaufighters (I'll have to find my reference for that). This was darker than the official shade and was close to RLM 70 (XF-27).

You mention XF-23 again "to fade it" - is this the original colour or a third one?

Regardless, the colour scheme looks good - I'll bookmark this for when I get back to my build.

• Profile Photo

@michaelt - yes, black Green - and XF-26 Deep Green

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Color looks great Tom, excellent tonal variation.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks great, @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

The model completed.

I used rockets and rails from the Eduard Tempest kit, suitably modified for attachment.

Full review in Modeling Madness on Thursday.

"Pistol-packin Gremlin" of 93 Squadron RAAFon Morotai, 1945,

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Turned out super, @tcinla!
    Looking forward to the review!