Taivaan Helmi - Special Hobby 1/48 Brewster B-239

Started by Tom Cleaver · 8 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 3 months ago:

So, I've had this on the SoD since around 2015 (when you can't remember when, it's been too long).

Opening the box, the assembly of the interior to the wing had been done (forgot that). So I proceeded to finish the cockpit interior in the fuselage and assemble that.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

I love this!
    It will look gorgeous in those markings!

• Profile Photo

Here's further progress. This is actually the Classic Airframes kit, re-released by SH. I note while working on it and referring to the reviews by me and Scott Van Aken over at Modeling Madness about building it in its previous incarnation, that some minor cleanup and modification was done. Particularly in that internal detail - which you cannot see very much of when the model is closed up. As an older SH kit, it definitely needed Mr. Surfacer on the seams, but the result was nice and smooth.

I went on and painted it overall with Tamiya Flat Aluminum thinned with some Micro Gloss, which gives a nice smooth finish, after painting the fuselage band, the cowling and the underwing area with yellow and masking it off. These airplanes were delivered in overall aluminum lacquer, then the camouflage was "field applied" over that, no other primer. Those that went through overhaul during the war got stripped and primered and fully repainted, but that's not the airplane I am doing.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Nice looking kit Tom, hopefully the box and instructions noted that 'some filler may be required'. Nice job that the putty. It gonna look great.

• Profile Photo

Looking great! Alu suits the Buffalo...

• Profile Photo

Aannnndddd - finito!

I used the national insignia left over from the Eduard Finnish 109s special release, kit decals for all else, to do Eino Luukanen's airplane as of November 1942. He marked his victories with beer bottle labels.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Beauty. Another added to the completion list

• Profile Photo

No bin for it 🙂
    Excellently built and great looking Buffalo!
    I love the Finnish scheme!