The Secret of the SH 1/32 Tempest II revealed

Started by Tom Cleaver · 8 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

So, I have had the kit for a couple years, since it first came out. Saw all the comments by modelers I know aren't ten-thumbed schmoes about the problems they faced. Then along comes the 1/48 kit, and I have the suspicion it is the 1/32 kit scaled down. So, time to fish or cut bait on what can be done.

I went back over Dan Lee's review at M2, and all of a sudden the light came on, as they say. I had the same exact problems he did with the first SH 1/32 P-36 I did, because the fuselage is split to have different engines. I realized there was a possibility the "secret" I discovered to do three more of that kit without problems might work with this kit.

It turns out, it does.

Here it is:

1. the wheel wells must be carefully assembled, so everything creates a "level" mating surface with the lower wing. You must test fit each piece in turn, sand it a bit to get that level surface, test fit each one as you glue them to see if they fit to the lower wing. Once you get the wheel wells all smooth and level on their mating surface (and the modifications to the left are different than to the right, there are no shortcuts here), you can fit the upper wings to the lower wing surface and all fits right without problem.

2. The forward fuselage/cowling must fit the opening of the wing. Once it's assembled, test fit to the lower wing and keep sanding down the surfaces that mate to the wing till they fit, because it's a bit wide (I found the same problem with the 1/32 Tempest V and the new 1/48 Eduard kits, and this worked on them also). Once it will slip in tightly, get it in position and glue it. You can work the fit from inside and outside to get it perfect.

3. Once that has set up, attach the upper wings. You can get them to fit nice and tight. Rubber band them to set up overnight because it's overall a tight fit.

4. Yes, the rear fuselage will slide into position (with a bit of fiddling at the forward end) and then all you will need to do is rubber band around the rear wing/fuselage joint and then a rubber band from wingtip to wingtip to pull it up and get a nice tight fit with the upper wing/fuselage joins. Once set up all will be easy and you will use a minimum of filler (preserving that beautiful surface detail).

Past that, assembly of the cockpit, the tail, the landing gear, etc. is not a problem.

My bet is that this will also work with the new 1/48 kit - I'll have one in a week or so and we will find out.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Indeed, this kit does have the reputation of being (very) challenging, but you have done a splendid job here, @tcinla!
    Great entry!

• Profile Photo

Here it is assembled. Once the initial assembly has been done, the work on the aft fuselage is "standard model assembly." I think the need for Mr. Surface at the upper forward/aft fuselage connection and at lower aft wing-fuselage join may have been the result of Modelin-Induced Problems of not getting the rear fuselage fully seated. But the end result looks nice with minor rescribing of surface detail needed.

I think I will do it in the "worn" high speed silver finish for the Tempest in the Malaya Emergency, the only "combat" markings for the airplane. This is also the scheme chosen for the newly-restored Tempest II that should be flying next month.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Yep, looks like the secret is revealed, my friend @tcinla!
    I like your chosen scheme a lot and look forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Painted.

After applying an overall coat of Tamiya X-18 Semi-gloss Black, I painted the rudder with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Alumin um, thinned 50-50 with clear gloss. I deliberately didn't get it nice and monochromatic, leaving a "hint" of darkness under it since this airplane had the High Speed Silver scheme applied over its factory camouflage and I wanted to simulate wear. I then painted the yellow ID stripes on the leading edge of the wing. The rudder, the leading edge, and the anti-glare black panel and the wing walks were then masked off and I applied an overall coat of Vallejo "Semi-matte Aluminum," again leaving some areas with a "hint" of darkness beneath for wear. When this was dry, I unmasked the other areas and then I tore some masking tape, positioned it on the anti-glare area and applied a light coat of the Vallejo Aluminum, since this had worn away in use. I then made "wear areas" with Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dark Green and XF-82 RAF Ocean Grey around "high traffic areas like the wing walk and cockpit, the gun bays, the wing and tail leading edges and leading edge of the cowling, also some wear on the ribs of the rudder, done with a 0000 brush.

Next up, attaching the landing gear and then decals.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Love the worn high speed silver, @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Finished. I applied the decals, then gave the model an overall coat of clear "satin" then went over the upper surfaces with clear "flat" to simulate weathering under the tropic sun in Malaya.

It's a good kit, I like my result. The discovery of the "secret" in assembly was what made the project manageable.

Full review at Modeling Madness on Thursday.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Turned out great, @tcinla!
    Looking forward to the review!