Trumpeter 1/32 Su-27B, Синий 24, Kluczewo Airfield, Stargard, Poland, 1992

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 119 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Su-27, Sukhoi, Trumpeter
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

I fully agree with the quality inspector, Spiros @fiveten
    The build looks fantastic and that last picture clearly shows how big this aircraft is.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    A big model, so challenging to handle (which also refers to the beautiful beast by sitting by my Sukhoi, as well 🙂 ).

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Outstanding progress, Spiros. The Sukhoi is looking spectacular and really huge as well. Did you do the last stage of weathering as an airbrush-applied post-shade? It looks really good and, if airbrushed is a testament to your airbrushing skills - so challenging to follow the panel lines well. You must be very pleased with this one. It is great that your son is a fan. My daughter doesn't get too excited by what I do but she thinks quite a bit of it is "cute" (except that the airplanes all look the same to her, especially in dull military shades). Sigh.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @coling!

In fact that post shading is done with dry pastels! I used to airbrush them, but have lately switched to dry pastels, as they can be wiped away if the result is not to my liking, something not possible when airbrushing too heavily or misalignged.

I will not lie: while all I wish for my two very young boys (6.5 and 3.5) is to have good health and follow their own chosen roads, I have unrestrictedly exposed them to the aviation and modeling viruses 🙂 ...
    Hope they get "infected"! 🙂

• Profile Photo

A final shot of the cockpit before canopy attachment:

Canopy attached

obviously the thin transparencies were prematurely removed from the mold without being sufficiently cool, as they were narrower than the fuselage attachment area...

I had to glue the canopy and windscreen in segments, patiently waiting in between, while holding them with my hand, swearing a a tad upon mating the canopy and the windscreen, as they wouldn't mate!

Upon curing white glue was added to fair the unevenness (Admin's @tcinla GREAT advice), everything curing now...

Once cured, some extra cleaning with a wet cotton bud will take place, some additional white-gluing (if needed) as well, followed by point (and then general) touchups. Last (but not least 🙂 ) the delicate metal pitot will be added.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

The canopy turns out nicely, Spiros @fiveten.
    Holding a piece in place and waiting for the glue to dry is also one of my worst moments in modelling, I do recognize the 'swearing' part.

• Profile Photo

Added "final bits" and performed "last minute touch ups" and

Done!

Thanks to our Admin @tcinla for the conception and follow-up of this mojo-motivating great GB!

Thanks to all followers, particularly the following Great Gents who also took the time commenting (in order of "appearance"):

@eb801

@holzhamer

@avispa93

@michel-verschuere

@adrianstarling

@coling

@chinesegeorge

@johnb

This was such an enjoyable ride!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Well, I am certainly glad to help you get such a great result @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Spiros @fiveten - what a great journey it has been! The mammoth size Sukhoi model you now present is really impressive, both in size and in the quality of your work. I really like the camouflage paint work and the final matt effect really gives us the sense of the real thing. You should try some outdoors photos, I’m sure that using an airbase photo as a background you can fool most people 😉

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@fiveten can't wait to see this beauty in headlines, Spiros, some outdoor photographs would be nice as well.

• Profile Photo

Thanks so much my friends @holzhamer and @chinesegeorge!
    Outdoor pics to be taken soon!

• Profile Photo

Awesome result, Spiros @fiveten
    Incredible how you tackled this huge aircraft.
    It was a pleasure to follow this thread.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Glad you followed my build!